Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who has teens with ADHD/ADD

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 187 Total Views
I'm new to the group, so I don't know everyone's story yet. But I just thought I'd put the feeler out for any other moms of teens.
My dd will be 15 in June and was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 7
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Hi and welcome, Im Ashleigh. I have a 14 year old son who was diagnosed ADHD at 2 years 4 months old. He has outgrown the hyperactive part, thank goodness, but he takes meds still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

My son turned 13 in January he has adhd and several learning disabilities.  At 12 1/2 he really started with an attitude we changed meds tried family therapy severral times.  Things are better but he still gives us that snappy eye rolling teen crap occasonionaly.  Consistitcy is the key.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Dont want my soon to be 11yo son to become a TEEN WITH ADHD.  He's "bad enough" as it is as a TWEEN with ADHD!  LOL!  If he is as bad as he is now, than he might not live long enough to become a teen!  LOL!  I'm about to send him away to an "institution" that can/will deal with his back talking, rude attitude!  :)  Do any of those exist!?  Or can I go somewhere!?  My son was diagnosed when he was three.  Been on meds ever since and individual therapy and just started group therapy again.  Does the adhd get "better" when kids become teens?  I was always hoping, that my son would learn to cope better, but I'm actually starting to see a decline in his behaviour.     

temage
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM
My dd is outgrowing the hyperactivity stage (thank god!). BUT she has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, which by the way, there is a correlation between bpd and ADHD. Also as they become teens, be ware of abusing their meds. My dd had approximately 25 adderall pills "go missing." She is now on a stimulant free medication. We also do med holidays during the summer, because I never needed her medicated during the summer.
Anywho~my point was, if you're having behavioral issues now, start researching bpd. I've had issues with dd since she was 11!

Quoting lazyd:

Dont want my soon to be 11yo son to become a TEEN WITH ADHD.  He's "bad enough" as it is as a TWEEN with ADHD!  LOL!  If he is as bad as he is now, than he might not live long enough to become a teen!  LOL!  I'm about to send him away to an "institution" that can/will deal with his back talking, rude attitude!  :)  Do any of those exist!?  Or can I go somewhere!?  My son was diagnosed when he was three.  Been on meds ever since and individual therapy and just started group therapy again.  Does the adhd get "better" when kids become teens?  I was always hoping, that my son would learn to cope better, but I'm actually starting to see a decline in his behaviour.     

1squishysmom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Our 20yo and 17yo sons both were diagnosed with ADHD. Our younger son was confirmed as having it when he was 11, our older son was 17 when he was diagnosed. The reason the older one was 17 is because he refused to get tested for years, saying that I thought he was stupid. He finally got tested when he saw how well his brother was doing. Our younger son was tested when he started middle school. The teachers in elementary kept telling me it was just developmental. I knew they just didn't want to pay for the testing so we took him ourselves and found out that he has combined ADHD as well as several learning disabilities. I wish our older son would have let us get him help sooner.

We tried several behavioral methods as well as nutritional methods through the years, but nothing worked. Meds changed our family's lives!

proud_mommy35
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM

My 11 yr old dd is add, at 9 & 10 yrs old it was almost impossible to get her focused both at home and in school. I already had a ds with ADHD and on medication and had never liked the idea (who would) of medicating my child, but it helped him so I agreed to give it a try w/her. After about 2 months I saw a vast improvement with school work and her communication at home. We went from incomplete school work to close to being honor with straight A's. of course a tween going through those changes we all love so much (not really) doesn't make it any easier, everyday is a question of how the day will go and a sigh of relief when they walk through the door and everything is good

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I have always read studies about kids who have adhd, etc abuse their pills and I watch closely.  I do feel like my son will become one of those kids who either take more pills or start selling them when he hits high school.  

Quoting temage:

My dd is outgrowing the hyperactivity stage (thank god!). BUT she has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, which by the way, there is a correlation between bpd and ADHD. Also as they become teens, be ware of abusing their meds. My dd had approximately 25 adderall pills "go missing." She is now on a stimulant free medication. We also do med holidays during the summer, because I never needed her medicated during the summer.
Anywho~my point was, if you're having behavioral issues now, start researching bpd. I've had issues with dd since she was 11!

Quoting lazyd:

Moeff
by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

12 years boy, diagnosed around 2nd grade. struggles terrible in school, always something. But I love him and he is mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)