Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD re-evaluation!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 271 Total Views
My son I 8 1/2. He has been on ADHD meds since was 4. He has already been on Ritilan, Adderall, Concerta, intuitive. When he turned 6 he was placed on vyvance and clonidine and is not up to 60mg of the vyvance. It was increased once on 70 mg and my son were crazy. He could not handle the higher dose so back down to 60. His 2nd grade teacher says the medication doesn't work and recommended a reevaluation. We go tomorrow to a new doctor. Trial and error all over again are there any other medications out there that we haven't tried that work well for your child?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mykids060911
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I am in the same boat :/ he cannot take the vyvanse so he is on concerta and it has made him worse GL!

NANNIEOF2
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM
When my son was first placed on Concerta, he was on 54mg just starting out. We started noticing that his personality was changing. He became afraid to go outside which is something that he loved. He became afraid of everything, every animal, every insect, etc. He lived in constant fear and had terrible phobias. When we told his dr what was going on, he blew it off as it not being the medicine. It took a month after he was taken off of the concerta to return to his normal happy outdoor self.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

What's the main problem at school?

concentration or aggressiveness?

Rachael-Dawn
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Focalin? 2 of my sons have adhd and focalin works great for them.
NANNIEOF2
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM
His meds were tweaked a bit. He is on Vyvanse 60 and Kapvay in the morning with a vitamin, focalin after school for homework, and kapvay and melatonin for sleep. He was also put on an appetite med to help him gain weight. Yesterday was the first day of focalin and he seemed to be hyped up more. First day of other meds to, except Vyvanse. He was cranky, crying for anything when he got off the bus (bus driver threaten to throw him off the bus because he was being a little snot) then last night he screamed, cried and fought in his sleep, a lot. How long do I give the new doses to work?
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I have to agree with the teacher, it sounds like ADHD might not be the problem.  There are other things that often mimic that diagnosis, anything from food allergies to seizure activity.  

When they did his initial diagnosis, what types of testing did they do?  

NANNIEOF2
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
He is ADHD and ODD for sure. We did all the tests, profiles, genetic testing, and so on. He was having trouble with outburst, excessive talking, arguing, defiance and so on. He has been on same dose of meds since Sept 2012. I thought they were working pretty good, or at least at home they were (I was with him most of the summer). It wasn't until school started that the problems started and this seems to happen every year. His teacher asked if he needed to be re-evaluated because he is giving her so much trouble at school. Maybe she just can't handle him. I was very sceptical to start the trial and error stages all over again because we went through all of this already and it was a nightmare. I will give it a week. If he is still having problems, I am putting him back on his regular dose and call his doctor.
oscarsmom70
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

So sorry you are going through this.  I'm glad you are getting a re-evaluation with the meds not working.  Let us know how it goes!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Quoting NANNIEOF2:

He is ADHD and ODD for sure. We did all the tests, profiles, genetic testing, and so on. He was having trouble with outburst, excessive talking, arguing, defiance and so on. He has been on same dose of meds since Sept 2012. I thought they were working pretty good, or at least at home they were (I was with him most of the summer). It wasn't until school started that the problems started and this seems to happen every year. His teacher asked if he needed to be re-evaluated because he is giving her so much trouble at school. Maybe she just can't handle him. I was very sceptical to start the trial and error stages all over again because we went through all of this already and it was a nightmare. I will give it a week. If he is still having problems, I am putting him back on his regular dose and call his doctor.

Okay. Now I understand. The problem is the school. Yes, I would put him back tomorrow on his old medicine regime.

The school is a problem for him. Either way, he just needs either a) a better placement or b) better support.

When a child has severe adhd, they need a lot of help. An FBA to be done at the school with a **positive** BIP. Maybe he needs an aide. My son got an aide last year and it wasn't like the aide was on top of my son 24/7, when I went to observe, it just helped to reduce the teacher-student ratio. Really, everyone did better.

Maybe pull out services for key, challenging subjects: reading, math, writing, etc.

mommystar3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I highly recommend the Daytrana Patch but with my son we found that we need to leave it on longer than the 9hrs or he gets the rebound ... we leave it on 12 hrs and he still sleeps ok  - the only problem is it takes 2-3 hrs to see the effect so now we are adding in a short acting liquid of the same med in the am

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)