Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

I am new to this site and it's a relief to see other parents struggle with kids who have ADHD/ODD. My son was diagnosed 2 years ago and I have been struggling with it ever since, I can't seem to get control of disease. He has been seeing a psychologist for about a year and a half plus a psychiatrist. He has been on meds for about a year. He is so hateful and hurtful, he doesn't listen to anything I have to say, he fights with me about everything. I am trying to learn how to handle all this on my own but it's getting harder and harder. His dad has ADHD but he does  not acknowledge it so its hard for him to accept our sons diagnosis. We are divorced but have a good relationship overall. My sons adores him (as he should) but his dad lets him get away with everything so when he comes home to me I have to deprogram him for three days to get back on track. I really believe at times the kid hates me and rather see me gone than be his mom.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Verrine
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:48 AM

What about letting him live with his father and you get to have fun visitation? 

gracefamilydoc
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I tell my DD that she doesn't have to like me.  I'm her mom and if I do my job right, sometimes I will do things she doesn't like, even though I love her.  

Hang in there. Lots of times our kids are impulsive and they say and do things that they really don't mean to do, just out of raw emotion.  When they settle down, they realize it.  Sometimes I say, "Did you say something you really didn't mean, just because you were frustrated/mad/disappointed?"

MomOfOneCoolKid
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to get some repoire with...

Have a day where you're the good guy... one day of doing whatever he wants, maybe some boundaries... lots of praising, lots of please and thank yous....

Actually, about a week and then after that have some clear guidelines as to what is expected of him with clear rewards. When he does anything that you asked, make a big to do about it; when he doesn't, the reward is just not there....

Lots of hugs and "i love yous" -- i think those are underestimated sometimes...

it takes a long time and patience... also, make sure you have time to recharge yourself mom.

Praise yourself for when you know you did the right thing

Hugs

all4muttz
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:02 AM
He may have Oppositional Defiance Disorder too? It's possible. Bouncing back and forth doesn't help. Has Dad sat in on any of his sessions? Either way, you've come to the right place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)