Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you take a medication break...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

When there isn't anything my 9 year old son has to do that day, if he asks, we let him go unmedicated. Yesterday was a snow day. He doesn't put in any effort. He thinks it is an excuse to act silly. 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommystar3
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM

When we skip a day , my son is very silly and goofy and I thought the same thing at first but now I really don't think it's something they can control... In fact I am convinced it's a reaction from the med because my son was never that bad before we even started the meds...

I look at it this way... once you start the med, it changes the brain chemistry so that when it's not in his system things kinda go haywire which would probably revert back if skipped several days or weeks but not right away...  so I think it's an everyday commitment once started...

I try not to skip anymore because I figure it's not fair to him to not be able to have the "control" over himself just because there is no school... everyone gets annoyed with him easily and he gets in trouble more as well so I've learned it's just better for my son to have the med consistently...

gracefamilydoc
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Well, I think this is how I would approach it.  If you expect him to do something constructive, then say so.  Make it a condition of his going without meds.  If he doesn't meet expectations, then medicate.

But if you're letting him take a break from meds to give him a mental break, then let him be silly and lazy.  So long as he's not hurting himself or others, a break is sometimes a good thing.  You might point out if his behavior is very different what his meds do for him, but childhood is short, KWIM?

lazyd
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM

That's why i never give my son a "break" for anything.  My son just acts up and is obnoxious when not medicated.  It messes with a kids' system to take "breaks" over holidays, weekends, vacations, summers, etc.  In order for meds to work they need that steady dose all the time, if you stop taking a med, than the kid can go into withdrawal and than if the kid takes the med again, can show symptoms that the med isnt working until it "flows" thru the kids' body (like tiredness, etc).

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Different kids have different needs.  Some kids take breaks with little or no repercussions other can't seem to take breaks.    and that can vary even with siblings. 

My DS could take breaks and was off meds on weekends and holidays.    DD  however was not that easy  a day or two off of meds insured a wet bed.   But she could be on half meds, so she got less meds on the days we were home.  

some kids enjoy a break from meds others are happiest on meds all the time.   you really have to sort out your kid/s    But  if you are both agreeable to be off meds for breaks and maybe weekends there should be ground rules and make sure you list them and the kids understand them.   

I know when my kids wanted a trial off meds for school.. the rule was you can not let your grades suffer and you have to get your work done.    Motivation enough and they did fine.    Supplements were part of  our routine by then and it was a matter of eliminating the meds altogether. eventually they were adults and supplements were their own choice and they dropped them too.  and they do just fine.    but the time on meds and supplements gave me the opportunity to teach them the life skills they needed to succeed off meds.  

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

MomOfOneCoolKid
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

:( I'm sorry mama. It happens.

my son is 5 and i don't think he knows *why* he is taking medication... on a snow day at home, recently, he has been able to handle it. Previously... um, no.

stephwordelman1
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

i usually let my son go without his meds on the weekends but when i do that, he just doesnt behave very well at all (he is getting better though), i can tell a difference when he is on the meds and when he isn't.

ljmom24
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM
School vacation week so we haven't had it all week. He has been so so. He is 10 now so I do try some behavior modification. Sometimes it's ok to be silly others he has to be aware of his actions more. If I'm watching them over vacation I'm more likely to do a med holiday. If he is going to vacation program or a grandparent I keep him on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)