Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hyperactivity/Emotional

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 386 Total Views

I'm very  nervous about the possibility of medicating and what side effects can be involved.  Anyone have good experiences with a certain drug for the hyperactivity and emotional aspect? Thanks!

My 6yr old DDis being evaluated for ADHD due to poor impulse control and occasional aggressive behavior towards her friends/classmates.

We've only been seeing the counselor for 3 visits. He had the teacher and us do some scoring sheets. Yesterday he told us that our DD won't be able to learn to control her impulses at this age that will come with age and maturity, so he thinks we should consider medications. That there are both stimulants and non-stimulants that are safe and effective in helping children manage their symptoms.

My husband and I just want to make the best and most informed decision for our DD.
But we always hear horror stories about those drugs.

What do I need to know about meds for this form of ADHD?  

I am a little overwhelmed.  He is licensed counselor.  He said he can play scenarios with her but she already knows what she is supposed to do in those scenarios, but she can't always get herself to do it.  He is going to give us some medication and non-medication suggestions and then we can decide how we want to proceed.  He can't write Rx so we'd either go through a child psychiatrist or peds for medication.  He stressed that no one can force us to medicate that it is ultimately our decision, he just wants us aware of all our options but he thinks that the medication would be most effective.

She can pay attention and does very well academically. But she definitely shows the hyperactivity and impulse control issues. The aggressive behavior is not constant all day every day, but she has "clusters" where she has gone 2-5 days in a row with getting tickets and losing recess, centers or having to spend the day in the office. 

She can be having a perfectly good day and be in line for the bus. Then someone accidentally bumps her, she turns around and pushes them.  Or kicks them, or blows in their face, etc.

She knows she is supposed to get a teacher if she thinks it was on purpose and let the teacher handle it and not touch anyone else.

But in that split second she just reacts, she doesn't think through the consequences.  

On top of that, she is very sensory, fidgets, when she plays she doesn't stop to breathe just goes from station to station all day.  

She is the happiest, sweetest, most loving little girl in the world.  Her grades are good.  But when she gets upset, she just can't seem to help herself no matter the consequences, punishments do not work for this child.  Incentives don't work.

Her teacher is fantastic and has tried many approaches to reward her good behavior. What has been most effective is taking away her recess and having her earn them back. She is back up to all 3 recesses. 

We had 2 perfect weeks at school and before/after school care with no problems.   

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandajoy21
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM
We medicate our 7 year old son and it has helped with his impulsivity and hyperactivity. He is on adderral and Zoloft to control his anxiety which causes some of his problems. So she had a good two weeks what was different?
Ritata
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Quoting amandajoy21: We medicate our 7 year old son and it has helped with his impulsivity and hyperactivity. He is on adderral and Zoloft to control his anxiety which causes some of his problems. So she had a good two weeks what was different?

Did he have any side effects? 

We did two things that were different, we sent her cold lunch which included sandwiches, fruit, sugar free jello and milk.  We also started a supplement called Attentive Child. 

Monday was another good day, Tuesday a boy stepped on her foot (or finger the kids contradict each other) and she pinched his arm.  He said it was an accident, she thinks it was deliberate.  Wednesday she was fine just needed some reminders to stay on task.   And so far she's having a good day today.  Her teacher emails me daily which is awesome during the good weeks. But those cluster weeks are another story, I get anxious waiting for that 2pm email and just about sick to my stomach. 

She's had to spend 2 afternoons and 1 full day in the Principal's office.  But then she went almost a month without issue.  I mean still the daily reminders to keep hands to herself, play nicely, share, sit down, etc.  But the school naturally and understandably takes the aggression towards others very seriously. 

withsecond
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Have you tried a diet change? No processed foods and drinks with dyes in them.
amandajoy21
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

In K was initially on Ritalin, but we found that his down period of the medication was horrible I am talking moody teenager mode you would barely look at him and he would have a tantrum. Over the summer we switched him to Adderral and he really hasn't had any negative side effects. Once you get your diagnosis set up a meeting with the school to get her a 504 plan to address the behavioral issues. What have you tried to work on her aggressive behavior? My son's teacher tries to work on him with general impulse control with small signals that make him think about his actions. Normally if she can get him to stop and think it bypasses a lot of the negative choices he makes.

Quoting Ritata:

Quoting amandajoy21: We medicate our 7 year old son and it has helped with his impulsivity and hyperactivity. He is on adderral and Zoloft to control his anxiety which causes some of his problems. So she had a good two weeks what was different?

We did two things that were different, we sent her cold lunch which included sandwiches, fruit, sugar free jello and milk.  We also started a supplement called Attentive Child. 

Monday was another good day, Tuesday a boy stepped on her foot (or finger the kids contradict each other) and she pinched his arm.  He said it was an accident, she thinks it was deliberate.  Wednesday she was fine just needed some reminders to stay on task.   And so far she's having a good day today.  Her teacher emails me daily which is awesome during the good weeks. But those cluster weeks are another story, I get anxious waiting for that 2pm email and just about sick to my stomach. 

She's had to spend 2 afternoons and 1 full day in the Principal's office.  But then she went almost a month without issue.  I mean still the daily reminders to keep hands to herself, play nicely, share, sit down, etc.  But the school naturally and understandably takes the aggression towards others very seriously. 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/amandajoy21
Ritata
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM
She is in a social group at school. They do a lot of role play.

The behavior problems RARELY occur at home. I keep her busy and make her take breaks. If she gets frustrated with a certain toy or game, I put it away for a bit.

She has no brothers or sisters so if we have visitors with kids there is sometimes trouble with sharin or playing what/ how the guests want to play.

She can tell you exactly what she should have done and she is remorseful after she's aggresive.

But this stuff isn't happening all day every day.

The counselor started off saying he can work with her to teach her how to control impulses but now he's saying she needs to mature and until then we should medicate.

What meds are most common and (I know every child is different) effective in addressing the hyperactivity and impulse control problems?

Quoting amandajoy21:

In K was initially on Ritalin, but we found that his down period of the medication was horrible I am talking moody teenager mode you would barely look at him and he would have a tantrum. Over the summer we switched him to Adderral and he really hasn't had any negative side effects. Once you get your diagnosis set up a meeting with the school to get her a 504 plan to address the behavioral issues. What have you tried to work on her aggressive behavior? My son's teacher tries to work on him with general impulse control with small signals that make him think about his actions. Normally if she can get him to stop and think it bypasses a lot of the negative choices he makes.

Quoting Ritata:

Ritata
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM
She drinks water and milk almost exclusively. She's a picky eater but basically she has eggs, toast and fruit for breakfast. She likes raw veggies carrots, celery, radishes, salad. Does not like casseroles or cooked veggies.

She likes PBJ or ham ( no cheese) for lunch. School lunch days she seemed to have issues at lunch recess, so DH started packing cold lunch. She will then eat what we're having or choice of canned soup or bean burrito.

We've cut down treats to just weekends.

Quoting withsecond: Have you tried a diet change? No processed foods and drinks with dyes in them.
amandajoy21
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM
There are too many meds to list. I would recommend you find an experienced psychiatrist for medications. My son gets overstimulated which often leads to aggressive behavior as a way of expressing his frustration. Could there be a problem in the classroom that is causing her anxiety or frustration and she tolerates for a while but then explodes when slightly provocted? It is weird hat she is only really aggressive at school.

Quoting Ritata: She is in a social group at school. They do a lot of role play.

The behavior problems RARELY occur at home. I keep her busy and make her take breaks. If she gets frustrated with a certain toy or game, I put it away for a bit.

She has no brothers or sisters so if we have visitors with kids there is sometimes trouble with sharin or playing what/ how the guests want to play.

She can tell you exactly what she should have done and she is remorseful after she's aggresive.

But this stuff isn't happening all day every day.

The counselor started off saying he can work with her to teach her how to control impulses but now he's saying she needs to mature and until then we should medicate.

What meds are most common and (I know every child is different) effective in addressing the hyperactivity and impulse control problems?

Quoting amandajoy21:

Quoting Ritata:

drewby1
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi there, momma, glad you've posted here with your question. Your little one sounds like an absolute doll! You and your DH are one the right track and I know how scary it can be to read about all of the medications. I found a series of articles at http://bit.ly/1dslUmI. Sending you a hug.
tludwig
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
My son was in first grade when we were faced with similar situation as you. We tried the counselor for a while but he for worse as the school year went on and started getting very frustrated and down on himself for not being able to handle things. That's when we decided to medicate. We used the long acting form of Ritalin. Biggest side effect was his lack of appetite and complaints of upset stomach. Good news is after a couple years he was able to go off medication. He has matured a lot and most of the time handles things well. He is still very much ADHD but he is able to cope and has learned better organizing strategies. Good luck
Ritata
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Can someone explain the difference between behavior therapy and occupational therapy? On the scoring sheets for ADHD-EF the counselor said 20 is interpreted as a mild case of ADHD. The teacher scored her at 23, I did 21 and hubby did 15. Which puts her right at 20. So I would like to know if there are other things we can try at home or through the school before going the medication route. If the counselor recommends medication but we decline can the school punish my daughter for our decision?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)