Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guanfacine- generic for intuniv - feedback please

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1290 Total Views

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a child with adhd that is taking guanfacine, the generic

of intuniv.   My son is 16 years old, and the neurologist has had my son on a combo of ritalin and intuniv....for

a few years now.  It has been working out very well for him...he has been on the honor roll for 3 years now.

However, it is very expensive.....we spend $200 dollars a month for the intuniv, and the generic is only

$8 dollars for 2 months!   He starting the generic form tommorrow, and since he is 16 years old, the doctor

says that he should be able to guage how well it is working. 

The generic form is not extended release, as intuniv is extended release, so he will have to take 1 mg in the

am and another pill (1mg) later on, about 6 hours later, according to the pharmacist. 

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the generic form of intuniv, and how it worked out.

I really hope it works out, as we pay over $145 dollars a month for the ritalin, and then another $200 dollars

for the intuniv a month.   This generic form of intuniv would only cost us $4 dollars a month!!!

I would appreciate any feedback or information about this drug.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:49 AM

My son is on Guanfacine. He takes 1mg in the morning. I think it works fine, but we started him on it (without being on Intuniv first), so I am unsure if you will notice a difference. Depending how long he is at school, you may need to supplement with an after lunch dose since it is not extended release, but school gets out early enough that we don't worry about that.

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM

My 7 year old dd just started this medication. So we are still on 1/2 tablet twice a day. We will increase to 1 tab 2xs a day next week. I'm anxious to see how she does on it. She was also just diagnosed with a mood disorder but the dr didn't want to start her on meds for that just yet.

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:26 PM

My 11 yr takes it around 3pm and is only taking 1mg mostly during the school year since by the time his last dose of concerta wears off by the time he gets home and we can't manage him when he's wound up. It makes a big difference for sure. I have MS and can't be stressed so anything that keeps him mellow makes me happy.

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM

my son took guancafine as a second to concerta. Concerta in the am, and gaunc. in the evening when home from school. I have heard of many cases of it being used as a secondary not a primary

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM

My son took guanfacine alone.  We tried the lowest dose for two weeks, but it made him lethargic and emotional. 

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Really, there's a generic?! We'll be trying it! 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
My son takes it along with focalin. He is on 1mg 2 times. A day. Since he has always been on both i'm not sure what to tell you. I think it works well.
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Tenex is the generic guanfacine.  It is immediate release so it is not exactly the same as Intuniv.  The reason Intuniv was developed was because of some early indications that guanfacine (immediate release) might be effective for ADHD.

Below is a link to my article on guanfacine. Basically it covers pros and cons.

Nonstimulants for ADHD:  Guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)