Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essential Oils

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 384 Total Views

Hi All! We are looking at adding essential oils to our routine.  Does anyone else use them for their child?  I am looking for something to help him relax at night and maybe help awake him in the mornings.  We have tried melatonin but doesn't seem to help him at all.  We have been proposed to try Clonidine but would like to avoid it if we can find a more natural way.

At night, we follow a schedule and checklist but the night is a bunch of "I am not TIRED", crying because he doesn't want to go to bed and we put have to put him to bed several times.  I think he is just wired and can't quiet his mind but I hate to see how little sleep he gets and the awful bags under his eyes.  I do know it is not medicine related because he he was like this before meds.  We are going to try essential oils to see if we can help him relax more at night. I always end up falling asleep way before he does.

Then we have mornings... I literally can't get him out of bed.  If I try to remove him from bed myself he cries bloody murder.  If I try to gently wake him, or tickle him, he laughs but still will not get out of bed.  after 30 mins or so I start to stress, which is where I need to try and remain calm but sometimes it literally takes me raising my voice to get him out of bed.  Though, that makes our mornings worse.   I actually wake him up an hour earlier than he needs to be up to give him meds.  That helped better than trying to wake him up and get him out of bed first but it is really just the getting him out of bed.  Maybe him getting to sleep better at night will help.

So, I guess, my question is have you used essential oils?  What ones do you use?  How do you use them, lotion or diffuser?  Where do you buy yours?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gracefamilydoc
by Member on Mar. 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM

No, I don't use essential oils.  I might if I thought that I would only use them occassionally.  I have issues with whether they are really safe if used in such a concentrated way on a daily basis.  

Article from my blog, with references:  Essential Oils for ADHD:  The Next Big Thing or Snake Oil?  The references are in the form of links to research abstracts, mostly on Medline.

What I do use is some relaxation recordings.  I found them as an app--Depression CBT--for Android.  I was using them for myself, but I thought DD might also benefit, and she does.  I always used to sit with DD and tell her a very sleepy tale about unicorns, rainbows and the like, but this is better because she doesn't depend on my presence and she learns some ways to relax her mind herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)