Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

signs of ADD vs ADHD

Posted by on May. 26, 2017 at 6:50 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 194 Total Views
My oldest has ADHD, in reality we always knew. He just never stopped going. Now my youngest is active but nothing like his brother. He's in second grade now and really struggling with reading and this was one of his brothers issues too and I can't help but go back to a conversation we had in an iep meeting the year after we started medicating him. It was about him now that he has the focus having to go back and pick up skills he missed cause he wasn't focused.

I find myself often going back to when the older one was his brothers age and what did I miss. I had his eyes checked last week and they are good. He mentioned lossing his place in when reading and he doesn't have the patience to sound out words. The later I think could be laziness or if something is hard he shuts down and doesn't want to do it.

I'm also convinced dh has add and was never diagnosed back in the day but I think of my oldest and nephew and they clearly have it and if I look at youngest vs them and he's totally different but at the same time if I didn't have an ADHD kid I wouldn't be making connections to focus issues with that we see.

He's due for a physical next month so I'm going to bring it up just curious for those with an ADD diagnosis without the hyperactivity what lead to getting the diagnosis
by on May. 26, 2017 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gracefamilydoc
by Member on Jun. 1, 2017 at 10:41 PM

Mine technically has inattentive type ADHD, but honestly she is hyper and impulsive as well.  The impulsive stuff was what lead to us getting her diagnosed.  She was dangerous!

I do feel similarly about our YDS.  I think maybe it helps to understand that undiagnosed siblings often have milder ADHD type symptoms...executive function deficits, etc.  YDS is not hyper, can focus on boring things for a lot longer, doesn't throw himself out of trees, doesn't sit and stare out the window, finishes his meals without prompting to keep on chewing,  but he still gets out of his chair, talks ALL the time, and has terrible handwriting.

Most kids I know of with purely inattentive ADHD get diagnosed because of school problems.  They can't focus, they can't get organized or keep track of assignments, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)