Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry need to have a major vent here

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 148 Total Views

My son 12 has adhd, he is on 36mg concerta which works great for him. His grades have gone up so much that he will be going into a lower level of help at school next year with the hope that in a year or two he will be in regular classes 100% of the time. d's and f's are now a's and b's. 

So proud of him and all the hard work he has done this year!!!!

NOW THE VENT

Over the past year dh has started taking ds to his doctor appt's since he went to 1st shift, he also uses this time to take ds out to dinner and spend one on one time with him which ds loves

Before each visit I have a list I make with what ds has accomplished and what we are concerned about. How he is reacting to meds and any thing I think the doctor may need to know or we would like to know. This way I feel we are all on the same page.

dh and the doctor talked and decided to take ds off his med's this summer, dh DID NOT talk to me about this very much in fact I was left with the idea that it was only going to be for a week. not all summer. Okay not what we talked about but I'm okay with it. 

HOWEVER I'm not okay with finding out that dh has been going behind my back and making plans with the doctor to remove ds from his med's for good.

dh justifies this by saying ds's behavior has improved and he is doing great and dh doesn't feel that the meds are needed anymore.

UMMMMMM NO YOU ASS HOLE the med's are what helps him do this!!!! ds has only been off his med's for a week! AT HOME! not at school where him needs to pay attention. 

Ds behaving well has nothing to do with his adhd!! He is a good kid! There is no way in HELL I'm allowing dh to take ds off his med's not now when he is finally doing well.

DH is mad now that I'm going out of my way to make sure that I am at ds's next doctors appt. and going to make damn sure that this doesn't happen. He says I'm going to make him look like a dumb ass. Well his's right in a way if you are going to act like a dumb ass and not work with me then it's going to happen.

THIS is why I type the damn list up and have all the questions and shit. uggggggggggggggggggggg.

IF dh can't pay attention when we talk then he isn't going to the doctors with ds by himself again any time soon. HELL I'm thinking of asking the doctor to test dh for ADD while we are there next.

by on Jun. 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gracefamilydoc
by Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Sorry to hear you and your husband are going through this.  I hope you two can work things out.  Some kids do outgrow their need for meds, and the only way to know is to try some time off.  I mean, it would be great if he could come off, wouldn't it?  But at the same time, it would be bad if he went through 3 months of it with no way to go back on the meds if it became apparent that it wasn't working out.  I get the anxiety and it sounds like you need to agree not to pull him off entirely, but to either back off on the dose or take him off for a set period of time, but have the meds available as a back up in case his schoolwork tanks.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)