Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please someone..give me some advice!! What do we do? We screwed ourselves so bad!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 179 Total Views

I'll be the first to admit the decision we made was stupid so lets leave that out of any advice given.

My husband is active duty military. He works in Nevada, but we are living in Arizona. We bought a house here 5 months ago. The worst mistake I think we could have made. We should have rented first to make sure this was going to work out..I know..He has a 4 1/2 hr drive twice a week to and from work (he works 4 days a week and stays up in NV for those days). They were NOT suppose to change that work schedule, but now they are talking about him working 5 days a week. Meaning he'll only be home 1 day instead of 2 1/2.

We made the move to AZ be cause my entire family lives here and DH and I wanted our kids to be able to be around family as much as possible.

How can we fix this? Can we sell or is it too early? He used his VA benifits to buy the house. I know NOTHING about homebuying/selling. He delt with everything when it came to this. Please, anything you can tell me, and advice, anything to help us get out of this mess.

Mommy to Ally(1-24-09) & Adian(8-12-07); Wife to Ilie(7-6-06)

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
RealtorHolly
by Group Admin on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I am not sure how to start this----first, you can do anything with enough money.  :) Assuming that you aren't sitting on tons of it, it is probably too early to sell and break even.  However, find out.

Are you stll in touch with your Realtor? Call the agent and ask them to do a market analysis on the house and a net out based on what you owe.  If you went in VA, did you also go zero down?

The net out will give you an estimate on how you will fare if you sold the house.  Be prepared to hear you will have to bring money to the closing table to sell the house.   I think (I may be wrong) but once you have sold the house you could use the VA benefit again to buy, I don't believe there is a time line, just on using it on your primary residence.

High risk option, you rent the house.  I don't recommend it though. You risk your house being totally trashed and you will be worse in the hole then you are now. You risk having a tenant who doesn't pay their rent on time and you then are making your own rent and someone elses because you have to make the house payment regardless.

Hopefully the commute will become bearable and all will fall nicely into place.  Sorry my advice wasn't more positive,  Best of luck.

Holly Bawcum

Associate Broker, Albuquerque, NM

RE/MAX Alliance Realtors

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)