Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's terms?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 393 Total Views

But Naaman went away angry and said, " I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the Lord, his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy".---2 Kings 5:11

Naaman's leprosey was only slightl less a problem than his elevated ego.  All his pompous self had to do was snap his fingers and some lowly private would hurry off to do whatever he had been commmanded to do, trivial or great.  Yet here Naaman was, desperate for a cure and willing to do whatever onerous mission this mystery God might demand.  But Naaman could hardly have been more surprised....or offended.  For openers, Elisha didn't even do him the honor of a personal greeting.  No one snubs this army commander!  Then as if rubbing salt into the wound, the prophet's instruction was to dip seven times in the (muddy) Jordan was an insult to his intelligence!  Was he to be treated like a private?  As it happens..yes!

Like Naaman we'd rather God come to us on our terms rather than ask the simplest thing from us before he delivers us from some predicament no amount of human initiative could possibly resolve.  Downright leprous with sin, we would be willing to do almost anything to be forgiven.  Go on a long pilgrimage.  Give all our money to the poor.  You name it.  But when we're told to simply get ourselves soaking wet, suddenly we think God is kidding.  What does getting wet in some slimy baptistry have to do with God's curing my spiritual leprosy?  As a soaking wet Naaman could tell you---everything!  Being a commander of thousands, Naaman should have recognized the priniciple immediately.  There is nothing magic about the water or, in Naaman's case, dipping seven times.  The only thing that matters is a willingness to do whatever it is our Commander orders us to do

The question of spiritual healing is:  Do I expect God to forgive me on his terms or mine?

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
momofsoldier237
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Good question Sandie I hope I would be forgiven on Gods' terms than mine. I have never really thought of it that way.

Debbie 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)