Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your reasons for a no med birth

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 1:57 PM
  • 39 Replies
  • 871 Total Views
Mine were:
I wanted to be able to feel what giving birth felt like without the masking of drugs.
I wanted my baby to be awake when he came out, and not drowsey
I wanted to feel awake myself
I didnt want my baby to be drugged, and tired from those same drugs for his first week being alive.
I wanted my baby to be able to breastfeed right away.
I wanted to feel like I accomplished something not many women had.
I wanted to do this because my mom had done it too
I was extremely scared of getting a needle in my back!
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyo35
by Member on Jun. 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM
well to be perfectly honest with my last four i didn't have an option b/c i was so far along when i got to the hospital. i was glad i didn't have drugs b/c i was more alert and knew what was going on. my recovery time was also quicker. i had drugs with my first b/c of toxemia, so i know the differences!
evasmamma
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 2:14 PM
For one, I don't trust nor do I like doctors! I was going to have a hospital birth until my doctor told me that I was too small to have a natural birth! WHAT THE?? too small? anyway, and then there were some problems with my blood tests, basically they were trying to throw me into diabetes. That's a long story! I contacted my aunt's midwife for a second opinion and she told me that I was NOT too small to have this child naturally and she put me on a strict eating plan to get my blood in order so my baby and I would be healthy. I hate doctors and have NO faith what so ever in them anyway. Our bodies are meant to have babies naturally. that means, no drugs, no surgury. ugh, I'm so pissed off towards the modern medical field. They look at everyone as dollar signs. Anyway, I was in labor for 2 weeks and in strong labor for 6 hours. No drugs! I didn't tear at all either. So much for being "too small" huh???
DimpleCakes
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 4:59 PM
This is my first pregnancy and I really would like to have a natural birth. I'm glad that my doctor now isn't like my other one. The other one said that women today can't give birth without painkillers anymore. My new doctor isn't forceing pain killers on me, but the women in my family say i should because its "EASIER".

I just told them to back off and let me decide whats right for my baby and my body.

Here are the reasons I'd like a non-medicated birth:

1. In like 90% of cases active labor progresses and is over more quickly (i'm all about being in and out)

2. I'd like my baby and I to be awake and aware after delivery so we can start learning how to breastfeed together.

3. I believe it's an experiance I should have and appreciate.

4. I want to accomplish something that's not often accomplished today.

and

5. I'm deathly afriad of needles. So the idea of a needle in my back is even more frightening.
evasmamma
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM

5. I'm deathly afriad of needles. So the idea of a needle in my back is even more frightening.

HAHA, I'm afraid of needles too!! They scare the crap outta me!!

Oh yeah, and another reason I chose to have a natural home birth was because the drugs they put you on in the hospital can cause ALOT of harm to you and your unborn child, and can be risky once you give birth. And also, I wanted to hold my daughter RIGHT after birth. In hospitals they take the baby away immediately. WTF??? And another thing, I didn't want my doctor to cut the baby's cord right away. I wanted my baby to get all HER blood. It makes for a healthier and stronger baby too =D  Geez, there are sooo many reasons I choose natural home birth.
LuV4FasHiOn
by Group Owner on Jun. 5, 2007 at 10:51 PM
I gave birth natural for those EXACT SAME reasons. Although I do have one more to add. I didn't have any complications with my epdrl. But I felt I could have done it without the drugs. My sister had an epidural with her baby and she was in and out of the hospital for weeks after having her baby b.c her epidural was put in wrong. I wasn't taking any chances. Plus all the reasons you listed above are totally worth any pain I had to endure. After my sisters last experience, I think I have her talked into going all natural! We'll see (hehe)
LuV4FasHiOn
by Group Owner on Jun. 5, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Quoting evasmamma:

For one, I don't trust nor do I like doctors! I was going to have a hospital birth until my doctor told me that I was too small to have a natural birth! WHAT THE?? too small? anyway, and then there were some problems with my blood tests, basically they were trying to throw me into diabetes. That's a long story! I contacted my aunt's midwife for a second opinion and she told me that I was NOT too small to have this child naturally and she put me on a strict eating plan to get my blood in order so my baby and I would be healthy. I hate doctors and have NO faith what so ever in them anyway. Our bodies are meant to have babies naturally. that means, no drugs, no surgury. ugh, I'm so pissed off towards the modern medical field. They look at everyone as dollar signs. Anyway, I was in labor for 2 weeks and in strong labor for 6 hours. No drugs! I didn't tear at all either. So much for being "too small" huh???
AMEN SISTER! lol I know what you mean! I have a hard time trusting the docs too! I think I'm going for a water birth next time!
LuV4FasHiOn
by Group Owner on Jun. 5, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Quoting DimpleCakes:

This is my first pregnancy and I really would like to have a natural birth. I'm glad that my doctor now isn't like my other one. The other one said that women today can't give birth without painkillers anymore. My new doctor isn't forceing pain killers on me, but the women in my family say i should because its "EASIER".

I just told them to back off and let me decide whats right for my baby and my body.

Here are the reasons I'd like a non-medicated birth:

1. In like 90% of cases active labor progresses and is over more quickly (i'm all about being in and out)

2. I'd like my baby and I to be awake and aware after delivery so we can start learning how to breastfeed together.

3. I believe it's an experiance I should have and appreciate.

4. I want to accomplish something that's not often accomplished today.

and

Those are all so very true! I couldn't believe how awake my daugher was after I delivered her compared to my son!!!! I've done both, medicated and non. There is more pain without meds, but it is soooooo worth it!!!!!! I couldn't have imagined it any other way =) Don't let anyone sway your desicion. If you need reinforcemnt....you can call on us. We'll be here to support you every step of the way. Also, I strongly reccomend getting a doula! They are lifesavers during labor. That's another thing they will try and talk you out of but who cares! It's for you not them.
DimpleCakes
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 10:14 AM
I'm just glad i'm not the only one who believes there are advantages to a natural birth. Everyone I've ever met in person has had medicated births and say its the only way to go because "THEY" where awake to see their baby and they were not tired after the delivery so they where able to be better influnce for their baby. Something about being tired they say makes your baby weiry of you.

Im LIke I don't believe that. They all think i'm crazy, but I have a loving wonderful husband who supports me 100% in my decision to have a natural birth and is doing everything he can to help me prepare for it and stand my ground agaisnt everyone else. Even though sometimes he does make those jokes about how a "Man"   would be able to handle pregnancy and labor better than we can. I just laugh at him because if that was so I think God would have made them be the ones to carry the baby. J/k'n.  :-)
love.my.girlies
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 5:15 PM
I am afraid of needles, hospitals, and pretty much any drugs. I hardly ever even take tylenol. I believe that child birth is part of what God created me to do and so He will give me the strength I need to do it, and He did!
KatieIMinich
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2007 at 1:40 AM
i did it for all the reason that all the other brave ladies stated. i was very disappointed in my midwife, though, as she was not that involved and barely present at my daughters' birth. she did not match my ideal of what a midwife could be, but still i was glad to have chosen her rather than a doctor. i was and still am very skeptical of doctors!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN