Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what can I expect?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 11:51 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

Ok this is going to be my second child. My first was in the hospital as well, and I pretty much just went along with whatever they said. This time however I know so much more, and dont want alot of the interventions they try and push. I am going all natural this time. But I have to birth in the hospital due to ins. So What can I expect? Am I going to have to argue the entire time? I have also heard that having a birth plan is just a joke to them. My Dr hasnt talked with me at all about labor and birth so I dont know how he feels about it, but then again he wont be there till I push anyway, its the nurses I will have to deal with. Do you guys have any tips? I know right now at 33 weeks the thought of the nurses just disregaurding my Birth plan and thinking its rediculous makes me mad (I know its just preggie hormones) but I can see getting really upset if it happens when I'm in labor.

by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaJen74
by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

I had a birth plan and it WAS followed.  The very first nurse that got me settled in my room told me to put this tube looking thing on (like a tube top, but over my belly) for the fetal monitors.  She had not seen my birth plan and I told her I was not having constant monitoring.  She told me that my midwife usually does that.  I told her that I had already discussed it with my midwife and it was not happening.  She gave me a "face" and walked out.  I don't know if she passed me on to a different nurse or what, but the one that actually took care of me read my birth plan and was very respectful.  Instead of telling me they were going to do this or that, she would ask me if it was okay to do such-and-such and why they would like to.  I was in complete control and did NOT have to fight.  I recommend making your birth plan (2 copies).  Give one to your doctor to go over with at your next appointment and keep the other one to take to the hospital with you.  It's such an amazing experience...natural birth.  My 4th child was my 1st completely drug-free birth and I'd do it that way again and again.  Good luck momma!

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Photobucket     

Group Owner~Rollergirls                    

Group Admin~Proud Public Breastfeeder

~NEW or SOON-TO-BE Breastfeeders 

AmyG1976
by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I waited as long as possilbe to head into the hospital (when I full term or course) I told them right away NO epi No internal monitors of any kind and only the belly moniter per hospital rules of once an hour for 10 min at a time (unless of course there was an issue) I also told them I was not having an IV there is no real reason for it you can drink water instead (so long as you actually drink it and a lot there should be no probs)  that was followed 2 of the 3 time the first time the doc and hos and nurses kept makeing excuses for this and that and I did not know better so I ended up letting it all happen. If your worried ask for a tour of the hospital then you can ask tons of ?'s to a real nurse that works there everyday ask her how many au natuals they have ask for your docs c section rate ask ask ask you will feel better let them know then your birth plan get a feel of how the nurse is with it if she seems funny talk to the head nurse let them know ask them how to get your wishes granted.  

Amy wife 11 years to Bill    kisstwin girlstwin boys

mom of: Jordan 13, Daniel 8, Mary 6,Jeremy 3 our 26 week miracle 

http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

MRouso
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM

The birth plan does help out, and make sure you support system, be it your husband or a trusted other person knows what you want.  They are there to make your wishes known when you can't seem to make sense of it.  I am such a control freak that I had to do it natural, and knowing it was better for me and my son was also a big reason too.  I gave birth in a hospital too, and got it to happen.  You will have to tell every nurse that comes in that you don't want an Epi, but you eventually get it through their heads.  I was lucky I checked in at 7:30pm and my son was born by 10pm.  So I really didn't have much time to fight with them.  When I was pushing the doctor tried to give me some drugs down there to help with the pain of the tearing and I guess I got so mad my husband thought I was going to jump off the bed and strangle the doctor.  He thought it was funny, I on the other hand did not.  But just standing up and knowing what you want and not giving in during transition you'll be able to accomplish your goal.

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Dec. 8, 2008 at 8:47 PM

i suggest like someone else said..... wait to go as long as possible to go to the hospital.   When my first two were born i had no clue..... i had a midwife and she was awesome but still........ it was different with my 3rd.   I went in after work 17 days early to be checked cause i was sooo uncomfortable....... the doc told me ooooo ur a 4-5 i was like  okiee break my water then lol.......... he looked over me and said  NOPE we r doin this natural.........   i was like WHAT!!   So he sent me home with takin a sleeping pill.......... and i thought to myself i will not go back until i know its time.   i woke the next morning after sleeping 12 hours straight not even gettin up to go pee.......... i was still uncomfortable..... played on the computer..... ate a sub...... still uncomfortable.  after about 5 hours i was finally like okiee hunny i think its time to go lol..... i was starting to feel things really intense.... and knew it was time.   I went to the hospital got checked in and boom i was a 10 when they checked me my water broke.   there was no time for IV.... she tried but i said no thanks..... and alls i ahd to do is wait for the doc which was easy cause the baby was a little high.   ......... to make a long story short......  the easiest way to get ur birth plan and with no temptations............ stay home as long as u can.  Trust me u will know when ur body is ready.... and why not enjoy that time in the comfort of ur home with the people that love u.   GOOD LUCK AND STICK TO UR GUNS !!

envi4me
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I am so happy that I had a wonderful birthing center to go to that took insurance. My midwives were amazing and the whole experience was great. From what I hear it is harder to go natural in a hospitol. They almost always push Pitosin to speed up your labor and make you think it is necessary. When you take pitocin it makes contractions way more intense, so moms usualy end up with an epidural. Also, labor is labor, it isn't a walk in the park and I know that if I had access to epidural when I was in labor I probably would have asked for it, I am happy I didn't but it isn't pain free. All the pain goes out the door when the Lo is born. It was the most amazing experience in my life. I had her in the water. As soon as they got me out of the water and on to the bed my LO latched on like a pro. All I can say is stick to your guns mama! Good Luck with the new baby.

New Mommy of 1
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN