Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP...I need a few recipes for feeding a crowd and not a lot of prep!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 4 Replies

O.K. Ladies I am needing some help, next weekend in opening season for phesant and we are having a house full around 15 people mabye more.  I am needing some recipes that will feed a crowd but I don't want a lot of prep.  I was thinking sloppy joes but I don't have a good recipe for them.  I am open to any suggestions.  I know for one meal we are making chili.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:52 PM

This is always a hit here at our house. You can adjust the ingredients for the size of the roast you need. This recipe is for a 4 pound roast. When i make this i serve with store bought coleslaw or potato salad and some chips.

BBQ Pulled Pork

1 pork shoulder roast
1 bottle (14 oz) BBQ sauce
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp brown sugar
1 medium onion, chopped
8 hamburger buns or rolls---hoagie rolls are delightful with this!

1. Place pork roast in crockpot. Cover; cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
2. Remove pork; shred meat with 2 forks. Discard any liquid in slow cooker. Return pork to slow cooker; add bbq sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, and onion. Cover; cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour longer.
3. Serve on buns/rolls.

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM

i was going to recommend a pulled roast as well, but served with kaiser rolls for pulled beef/pork sandwich. we don't cook pork but here's how we prep our beef roast of any size: smother defrosted roast of any size in cajun seasoning, sprinkle finely chopped onion or minced onion and a little minced garlic, and cook in a crockpot on low for 8 hours (you can do this overnight).

then you could just shred the roast (it will already be falling apart) and toss it with any kind of sauce you prefer, and set it out with sandwich rolls.

another easy party recipe is nachos: brown one pound of ground beef and add 1 can of refried beans, stir in 1 packet of taco seasoning (multiply 1:1:1 as necessary). you can either keep all ingredients separate, to be mixed by each individual; or layer:

tortilla chips
beef mixture
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
black olives
sour cream

you can add or subtract any toppings you prefer to the list

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Sloppy Joes with Vegetables
4 cups red beans, cooked
4 cups lima beans, cooked
4 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
2 large onions, chopped
4 large carrots, grated
4 medium zucchini, grated
1 green bell pepper, diced fine
1 can pumpkin (15 oz small one)
1 red bell pepper, diced fine
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 cup catsup
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
salt and pepper
Mix together onion, carrot, zucchini, & peppers. Microwave vegetable mixture until onions are soft. Combine everything except beans. Put beans through meat grinder on coarsest grind (I don't bother, I just mash a bit with a potato masher). Mix ground beans & sauce mixture. If too dry, add 1/4 cup of reserved bean liquid & mix. Continue this process until consistency desired is reached. Put into slow cookers (leftover mixture may be cooked on stove in a Dutch oven) Simmer in slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours. (If cooking on top of stove, simmer for about 45 minutes so flavors can mingle. ) Single batch fills large slow cooker with a little left over

1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
3/4 c. frozen or canned corn 

3/4 c. diced zucchini 

3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

Robin in Chicago

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM

How about enchiladas, you need hamburger meat, shredded cheese, chili,burrito size tortillas, enchilada sauce, and if you like onions and peppers you can add them. The amount of ingredients depends on the people. You said ten so I would buy a big can of chili and about 4-5 pounds of meat. You start by cooking the meat you can add salt and pepper for extra flavor. Mix the chili in with the meat and add the sauce. Then you can begin putting it in the tortillas and add the amount of cheese you want. Save some of the mixture and poor it over the top and add cheese. Then just stick it in the oven until the cheese is melted and your done. I feed a family of seven every night so if you need any more ideas or dessert ideas just ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)