Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eaters with a power struggle.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a hard time getting my 19 month old to eat!!! She eats all the food I pack for lunch at school, but she won't eat for me our my husband.  We have tried feeding her with the utensils, letting her feed herself with the utensils, letting her use her hands, eat off our plates, eat off her own plate, you name it.  She wants to sit on our lap or eat on the go.  I don't find this acceptable for dinner time.  Does anyone have any no-miss recipes, tricks, or tips for eating a balanced dinner?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
silverdawn99
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I am dealing with the same thing. My two year old doesnt want to eat hardly at all. I was really concerned about this until i was told that toddlers know their own hunger. If they are hungry they would eat. Its frustrating i understand so I give him pediasure just to ease my conscious.

TonyaLea
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I have a 16 month old daughter.  Recently my doctor told me that at this age it is very hard to get them to sit still and eat, or to eat a lot at any given time, that is is a phase that they will eventually grow out of (with a little encouragement from the parents of course). 

Have you asked daycare what kind of setting she is in when she eats there and try to mimic it at home?  I think for my daughter she is more willing to eat at daycare because she sees all the other kids eating too, a sort of peer pressure thing I guess. 

The trick I have been doing with my daughter is to let her move around during dinner, walk away, etc.  but the food stays on the table and if she wants a bite than she has to sit on her chair and eat it.  I figure she will learn dinner is served at the table that way.

Lilypie

Group Owner: Cooking for Toddlers
Group Admin: Frugal & Thrifty Moms (Weekly Menu Planner)
Liansmommie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

That would be my advice as well. it's the only thing that worked for us.

Quoting TonyaLea:

I have a 16 month old daughter.  Recently my doctor told me that at this age it is very hard to get them to sit still and eat, or to eat a lot at any given time, that is is a phase that they will eventually grow out of (with a little encouragement from the parents of course). 

Have you asked daycare what kind of setting she is in when she eats there and try to mimic it at home?  I think for my daughter she is more willing to eat at daycare because she sees all the other kids eating too, a sort of peer pressure thing I guess. 

The trick I have been doing with my daughter is to let her move around during dinner, walk away, etc.  but the food stays on the table and if she wants a bite than she has to sit on her chair and eat it.  I figure she will learn dinner is served at the table that way.

mamamiajk
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM

As my pediatrician always told me they will eat when they are hungry. It sounds easy enough but its hard on moms conscience. I used to keep cut up fruits and veggies on hand to set out when they are "ready". Also cheerios,cheese,and cut up turkey. They're all good for them and it's easier than stopping every hour or so to make something up. Good luck and as my gram always liked to say "and this too shall pass"    Happy Holidays!

MicaylaMom
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Thank you for all your advice.  I will try some things and let you know how it worked out.

rkoloms
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.

Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.

Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.

I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.

Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Robin in Chicago

TonyaLea
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Great advice Robin, Thankyou.

Group Owner: Cooking for Toddlers
Group Admin: Frugal & Thrifty Moms (Weekly Menu Planner)

emilex
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I agree with the previous poster who said that dinner stays on the table and the child can leave and come back and what not but that is where the dinner is.  This is what we did.  Also, at our house the rule is that if you choose not to eat, don't ask me for something later because you are not going to get it.  We always have a bowl of fruit on the table, and sometimes if my girls don't want whats on their plate they will ask for a piece of fruit out of the bowl.  They are allowed to have that, but they know I won't make something else (besides the meal) for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)