Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Favorite Recipes

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Everyone!

What is your all-time favorite recipe?

If you can, share your recipe with us.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
admckenzie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM

All time? lol. I've only been cooking a short time since I reared my children on fast food. I started learning how to cook after they all moved out and found out what the kitchen was for! I've found that I like baking more than cooking meals but my favorite turns out to be pudding. It's a simple recipe of 4 tbs cocoa, 4 tbs cornstarch, 6 tbs sugar, dash of salt, 2 cups milk. Put in med pan on low heat or use double boiler. When it thickens up add 1 tbs butter and 1 tsp vanilla. 

rkoloms
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I have so many favorites! I hate to cook and I love to eat good food, so what I cook tends to be simple and healthy.

This is one of my favorites (it is restaurant-quality):

General Tsao's Tofu                        
1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
1 egg or substitute
3/4 cup cornstarch
vegetable oil for frying
3 chopped green onions
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
4 Tablespoons sugar
red pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon sherry (optional) (you can sub apple cider or white grape juice)
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
steamed broccoli
cooked brown rice
Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons cold water. Dip tofu in egg/water
mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.

Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over rice

Robin in Chicago

tretresmom
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
  • 1 pound chicken breast tenders, diced
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced or, double amount of white meat
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
  • 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage, casings removed and diced
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk, chopped
  • 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
  • 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (for mild to moderate heat)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart chicken stock or broth
  • 3 cups chopped okra, fresh or defrosted frozen
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in puree
  • 3 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves, several sprigs
  • 8 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
  • 2 1/2 cups white enriched rice prepared to package directions

Directions

Preheat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, 1 turn of the pan, and 1 pound of the diced chicken. Season with salt and pepper and a sprinkle of poultry seasoning. Brown on all sides, about 2 or 3 minutes. Chop your veggies while it's working. Add half the andouille to the pan and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer chicken and sausage to a dish and repeat with remaining chicken and sausage, remembering to season the diced chicken as you go. Return pan to heat and add butter. When the butter melts, add chopped celery, peppers, onion and bay. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook 3 to 5 minutes to begin to soften veggies. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the broth and bring liquid up to a boil. Add okra, chicken and sausage to the boiling broth, then stir in your tomatoes and half of your fresh thyme. Bring back up to a bubble, reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to combine flavors and adjust your seasonings. Serve gumbo with chopped thyme and scallions to garnish. Scoop cooked white rice into the center of bowlfuls of gumbo using an ice cream scoop. Enjoy!

my3babes
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Not sure if I have an "all time" favorite but here's a Chicken salad recipe I love & make often

Chicken Salad

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

3 1/2 cups finely diced cooked chicken

1 cup finely diced celery

1/3 cup slivered almonds

12 mini slider rolls

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise and salt. Toss with the chicken, celery, and almonds in a medium bowl. Serve on sliders.

BubTinkMa
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Quoting my3babes:

Not sure if I have an "all time" favorite but here's a Chicken salad recipe I love & make often

Chicken Salad

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

3 1/2 cups finely diced cooked chicken

1 cup finely diced celery

1/3 cup slivered almonds

12 mini slider rolls

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise and salt. Toss with the chicken, celery, and almonds in a medium bowl. Serve on sliders.

this is exactly what i am looking for not too many ingredients; preparing this tonight, I'll let you know how it turns out:) thank you for your recipe!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)