Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Take Out

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Everyone!

Do you make your own version of Take Out food?

If so, what do you make?  Share your recipes.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rkoloms
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM

General Tsao's Tofu            
1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
1 egg or substitute
3/4 cup cornstarch
vegetable oil for frying
3 chopped green onions
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
4 Tablespoons sugar
red pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon sherry (optional) (you can sub apple cider or white grape juice)
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
steamed broccoli
cooked brown rice
Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons cold water. Dip tofu in egg/water
mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.

Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over rice.

Robin in Chicago

tretresmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Nope but I wish I could :)

my3babes
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I've experimented before with a few recipes but I didn't really care for my version lol. I rather have the real thing

j45505
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I have not lately but I have a few that I have in the past and or that I keep on hand. I think for the most part it can be pretty easy. Most tell you the bulk of their ingredients in their description of the dish you can look up menus online. And now days and can look up recipes on line. For instance we like Red Robin burgers. What's to stop you from putting those same ingredients on your burgers at home and then you'll have left overs.  

Aurorasmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM

no...but that would be friggin awesome if i could! LOL!

well...i guess we kiiiinda do.  we dont really eat 'fast food,' but we eat a ton of mexican food, which is easily made at home =)

and i love making egg drop soup.  and my dh experimented until he got a great result in his homemade chicken fried rice.

and sometimes we bake chicken in panda express' orange chicken sauce.

so i guess we do more than i thought.

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I like my pork fried rice and chicken lo mein better than take out.  Though I wish I could make the BBQ pork and the wings like the Chinese place around here.

mamamiajk
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM

In our family there atre a number of foods we do...mexican food comers first and chicken wings are #2.

ittybit

Cafe Jenn
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I love the Everything Lo-Mein recipe by Rachael Ray.

I'm a big Rachael Ray fan and found this in one of her cookbooks.

chefjen
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Home made Sliders.  hamburgers cooked with grilled onions in a frying pan then topped with secret sauce(ketchup AND mustard mixed)   with pickle slices in a warm bu then wrapped in patty paper then you wait a minute for everything to "cometogethre"  Then eat with homemade fresh french fries...YUM!!!barbecuing

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Today I tried to copy Starbucks peppermint mocha and I must admit, it was damn good!

I used 4 oz of milk, heated in the microwave for 2 minutes.  Added an instant coffee packet, mixed it well...  2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa (you have to keep tasting it to make sure you get that mocha flavor but not too sweet, not too yucky either lol)...  Then once you get that, get a piece of peppermint candy cane, put it in the coffee and stir until it dissolves...  It is seriously heavenly!!!

Another recipe I copied with success is the Taco Bell Crunch wraps...

Buy large tortillas, ground beef, sour cream, blend of Mexican cheese (or just plain cheddar would do), tomato, lettuce, guacamole and tostadas (hard tortillas but NOT taco style!)...

Cook the meat how you would usually do (I cook it with sofrito, tomato paste, sazon, adobo, cumin)... 

Heat the tortilla, lay it flat, add some meat in the middle, you can add some jalapeƱo cheese here if you want to, I usually don't; then the tostada...  On top of the tostada, add the lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and guacamole...  Then fold the tortilla on top like this:

Heat a skillet, and cook both sides until its a little brown and sealed...  Oh and don't forget to "flatten" it out with a spatula.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)