Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Cake Pop's Help.

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM
  • 23 Replies

Every Time I make cake pops the sticks come out. I let the cake pops sit then I dip the sticks in the chocolate then insert them into the cake and then put them back into the fridge for about 30 mins. I then dip the cake pops into the chocolate and the sticks come out. How do I stop this from happening?

by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymomma03
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM

It could be a few different things causing this to happen. The pops could be too big, there could be too much icing in the cake mixture, or you may just need to put them in the freezer for them to firm up a bit before you put the sticks in them and again in the freezer before you dip them (that's what I always do).

CountryLayne
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM
If they are falling off of the sticks, I would wager you have too much icing in the "dough". It should be about the consistency of play doh. Too many times recipes call for a whole can of icing, and I swear, you really don't need that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jitterbuug48
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Quoting CountryLayne:

Too many times recipes call for a whole can of icing, and I swear, you really don't need that much.

whoa, yeah, only use half a can!

Also try refrigerating the balls over night. this will ensure that they are nice and firm. I never do mine in the freezer, They tend to crack more, IMO.

-Cat

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I have always wondered why recipes call for that much icing.. I only use a couple of spoonfuls at most. I think with my very moist cakes (strawberry cake especially), I could almost get away without adding any at all..but I always add just a tiny bit.

Quoting CountryLayne:

If they are falling off of the sticks, I would wager you have too much icing in the "dough". It should be about the consistency of play doh. Too many times recipes call for a whole can of icing, and I swear, you really don't need that much.

DanielleK21
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I have never made them so Im not any help.

Cafe AmyB
Today at 11:38 AM
Advice for Moms Group - CafeMom

Share parenting and relationship advice, recipes, baby names and everything from potty training to weight loss tips.

by Head Admin on Nov. 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Great advice, ladies!! 

mrs.phillips123
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM
I'm going to make my first ones next week I think so this is great advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daiseymae2
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM
Some day I will make these.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkey_Bizness
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 2:39 AM

I never made these before or heard of them, they sound good.

CountryLayne
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 5:20 AM

ESPECIALLY with a moist cake! (whic most are anymore). Best rule of thumb is to just do a spoonful at a time, until you get the perfect consistency. Then, dip the lollipop stick in melted chocolate before putting it in the pop helps it to "adhere".

The only trouble I have ever had is the coating on the pop cracking. I know what it is from... the pops are frozen when I dip them, so as they thaw, it makes the coating crack. I just need to let them warm a tad before dipping, so this won't happen anymore.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have always wondered why recipes call for that much icing.. I only use a couple of spoonfuls at most. I think with my very moist cakes (strawberry cake especially), I could almost get away without adding any at all..but I always add just a tiny bit.

Quoting CountryLayne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN