Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Every Time I make cake pops the sticks come out. I let the cake pops sit then I dip the sticks in the chocolate then insert them into the cake and then put them back into the fridge for about 30 mins. I then dip the cake pops into the chocolate and the sticks come out. How do I stop this from happening?

by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
CountryLayne
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 5:20 AM

They are SO EASY! Really they are, you won't be disappointed!

Quoting daiseymae2:

Some day I will make these.

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 6:13 AM

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.  I know people who have made cake pops and they put the stick in before they bake the cake batter.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I have had the same trouble with them cracking. I know I shouldn't put them in the freezer for as long as I do..but my family likes to eat them frozen..so there's no helping that for us. LOL.

I make more cake balls than I do cake pops though. Around the holidays I get asked a ton for cake balls. I also make them and sell them sometimes, and it's cheaper to make cake balls (without the sticks) than it is to make cake pops. LOL

Quoting CountryLayne:

ESPECIALLY with a moist cake! (whic most are anymore). Best rule of thumb is to just do a spoonful at a time, until you get the perfect consistency. Then, dip the lollipop stick in melted chocolate before putting it in the pop helps it to "adhere".

The only trouble I have ever had is the coating on the pop cracking. I know what it is from... the pops are frozen when I dip them, so as they thaw, it makes the coating crack. I just need to let them warm a tad before dipping, so this won't happen anymore.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have always wondered why recipes call for that much icing.. I only use a couple of spoonfuls at most. I think with my very moist cakes (strawberry cake especially), I could almost get away without adding any at all..but I always add just a tiny bit.

Quoting CountryLayne:

If they are falling off of the sticks, I would wager you have too much icing in the "dough". It should be about the consistency of play doh. Too many times recipes call for a whole can of icing, and I swear, you really don't need that much.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Here are some that I have made.

These are cake balls (no sticks):

Here are some cake pops (with sticks):

Here are some shaped cake pops for Christmas:

You can google how to make cake pops and it will come up with tons of websites to help you. YouTube has videos on how to do it, and Bakerella.com has some very cute ideas. =)

Everyone I know loves these things, and the flavor combinations are endless.. You can even use flavored coffee creamer for the binder, instead of using cake icing..which gives you even more flavor options.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.  I know people who have made cake pops and they put the stick in before they bake the cake batter.

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM

The cake balls seem more up my alley LOL. Spheres are my friends.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

You can google how to make cake pops and it will come up with tons of websites to help you. YouTube has videos on how to do it, and Bakerella.com has some very cute ideas. =)

Everyone I know loves these things, and the flavor combinations are endless.. You can even use flavored coffee creamer for the binder, instead of using cake icing..which gives you even more flavor options.

Quoting frndlyfn:

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2010 at 5:59 PM

A friend made some recently for Halloween. She dipped them in orange colored chocolate and added pumpkin faces.

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM
Monkey_Bizness
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Those are really nice, you did a wonderful job on them! Cool that you sell them too.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Quoting frndlyfn:

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

LOL. The shaped ones aren't hard to make... I just pressed the mixture into small shaped cookie cutters. =)

Quoting frndlyfn:

The cake balls seem more up my alley LOL. Spheres are my friends.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Quoting frndlyfn:

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Thank you. =)

Quoting Monkey_Bizness:

Those are really nice, you did a wonderful job on them! Cool that you sell them too.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)