Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY yogurt!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 3 Replies

DSC_0679

Plain Homemade Yogurt Recipe

• 8 cups milk (any kind, I use 1%)
  • 1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt
  • 3 oz. package of plain gelatin

Step 1:  Plug in your crock pot an turn to low.  Add milk, cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.

Step 2:  Unplug your crock pot.  Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.

Step 3:  Scoop out 2 cups of the milk and whisk in the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.  Whisk in the store-bought yogurt.  Dump the bowl contents back into the crock pot.  Stir to combine.  Put the lid back on your crock pot.  Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy towel all the way around the crock for insulation.  Let it sit for 8 hours.  In the morning the yogurt will have thickened.

On another note, if you want to sweeten the whole batch, here is how she changed things:

After the 8 cups of milk has warmed for 2 1/2 hour and cooled for 3 hours,

• Sprinkle 2 packets of plain gelatin in 1/2 c of cold fruit juice and let it sit for about 1 min. 
  • Then add 1 1/2 cup boiling fruit juice and stir for about 5 minutes. 
  • Then add the 1/2 c of plain yogurt and about 1/4 cup of agave to the fruit juice/gelatin mixture, stir, add to the warmish milk in the crock pot, and stir again. 
  • Then wrap the crockpot in a bath towel and leave it on the counter overnight. 
  • I used to add the agave to each individual cup before eating but decided this is easier.

Notes from Mary:  I have tried Cran-Raspberry juice and white grape juice both which gave me a good tasting yogurt.  The yogurt is thin when it is finished but after cooling in the refrigerator it thickens and is similar in thickness to store bought yogurt.  No more nasty food coloring.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
4kidz916
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I've seen this recipe, but didn't know how well it would work.  Does it make a really thick yogurt?

DanielleK21
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Yum I can eat yogurt. LOL

.shank.
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM
It does! I've done apple cinnamon, strawberry, and blackberry! Next I want to try banana for my youngest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)