Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peanuts

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am still nursing my 15 month old dd - however we found out about 2 months ago that she is allergic to peanuts - luckily it just agrevates her excema and doesn't cause her throat to swell up - but we are a HUGE peanut butter family - so do any of you have someone in your family that has an allergy like that if so what do you do for them. It's killing me to not have peanut butter - 2 months now I've gone without and it's killing me lol Do any of you use a different "nut butter" and what does it taste like?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM

We don't have any nut allergies so I have no idea, but here's a bump for you.

1busymomma03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM

My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts. I will come back to this post and tell more about it in a bit. Right now I'm off to take the older two kids to school.

1busymomma03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Okay, I'm back from taking them to school now..lol

My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts. She has never actually eaten them and she has had some very scary reactions before. She can't even be in the same room with anyone eating peanuts or she will get very itchy, break out in a full body rash, and even start coughing. One time my Dh ate a cake with some PB and about half an hour later he kissed her cheek...she instantly started swelling and breaking out in hives. Her lips got huge and her eyes started to swell shut...just from him kissing her. It was so scary!

We don't even allow peanut butter in the house. The older two kids eat soy butter sometimes. I don't really like them eating the soy very often, but it's the only "butter" that we can get locally. I really prefer SunButter. It's made from sunflower seeds. It tastes really good too.

I would be very careful with peanuts around your DD. If she reacts at all just from your breast milk, then the allergy may be more severe than you think it is.. Does she see an allergist?

Quoting 1busymomma03:

My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts. I will come back to this post and tell more about it in a bit. Right now I'm off to take the older two kids to school.

goorob
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

We'd go nuts!  We got to a steak house with peanuts on the table where you throw the shells on the floor and that would be hard to give up too, the boys love it there.  I know a guy whose family can't even go there or have to change their shoes if they do becasue the dust in his house could cause an allergic reaction for him...

1busymomma03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM

We can't go to places like that because of my DD too.. Sometimes I miss PB.. My step mom used to make homemade pb ice cream. It was sooooo good. I have been craving it for a while now, but I can't make it because we can't have it in the house.

Quoting goorob:

We'd go nuts!  We got to a steak house with peanuts on the table where you throw the shells on the floor and that would be hard to give up too, the boys love it there.  I know a guy whose family can't even go there or have to change their shoes if they do becasue the dust in his house could cause an allergic reaction for him...

wonderwomanT08
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM
I'm the one with the peanut allergies.it sucks! Everyone has to be really careful, just a little on my skin and I get hives. And if effects my asthma. To be careful my family uses plastic disposable knives and paper plates for peanut butter.If they need to wipe pb off the counter they use a wet wipe. My SO and I rarley kiss and hands are always washed.The littlest amount of peanut can be deadly. Grocery shopping is a major chore. A lot of foods " may contain peanuts" even ones you would think wouldn't do. And it changes, so you have to continually check ingredients. I learned that the hard way a few yrs back when I ended up in the hospital eating my favorite cookies that I always eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1busymomma03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Wow. I think it would be easier to just keep peanut butter out of the house. Have you thought about SunButter as a substitute for your family?

Reading labels does suck!! I spend so much time in the grocery store reading labels when I go shopping.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I'm the one with the peanut allergies.it sucks! Everyone has to be really careful, just a little on my skin and I get hives. And if effects my asthma. To be careful my family uses plastic disposable knives and paper plates for peanut butter.If they need to wipe pb off the counter they use a wet wipe. My SO and I rarley kiss and hands are always washed.The littlest amount of peanut can be deadly. Grocery shopping is a major chore. A lot of foods " may contain peanuts" even ones you would think wouldn't do. And it changes, so you have to continually check ingredients. I learned that the hard way a few yrs back when I ended up in the hospital eating my favorite cookies that I always eat.

bigblueeyes
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM

my oldest ds has a peanut allergy.....it's pretty bad if he gets peanuts or peanut butter.....but he's fine with stuff that says "may contain" or "processed on the same equipment".....it's odd....i know....lol.....but we've not been accused olf being normal.....lol.....he eats soy butter.....i think it's nasty.....tastes like stale peanuts.....lol....we can't go to logan's or texas roadhouse either because of the peanuts.....also can't eat chik fil a (not that i mind....lol) because they use peanut oil

toady07
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Okay, I'm back from taking them to school now..lol

My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts. She has never actually eaten them and she has had some very scary reactions before. She can't even be in the same room with anyone eating peanuts or she will get very itchy, break out in a full body rash, and even start coughing. One time my Dh ate a cake with some PB and about half an hour later he kissed her cheek...she instantly started swelling and breaking out in hives. Her lips got huge and her eyes started to swell shut...just from him kissing her. It was so scary!

We don't even allow peanut butter in the house. The older two kids eat soy butter sometimes. I don't really like them eating the soy very often, but it's the only "butter" that we can get locally. I really prefer SunButter. It's made from sunflower seeds. It tastes really good too.

I would be very careful with peanuts around your DD. If she reacts at all just from your breast milk, then the allergy may be more severe than you think it is.. Does she see an allergist?

Quoting 1busymomma03:

we are very careful around her - she's not had a bad reaction - thank goodness - it's just her excema and even before when we didn't know it she would eat pb (like I would have a sandwich and she would want a bite- so I'd give her a small bite) and her excema would act up but I ate so much pb or peanuts - I mean I would go thru a jar a week before we found out - you know the costco size - yeah that much by myself that's how much I like it - but not since we found out - cut it out 100% it's still in the house I don't eat it and she doesn't - but yes she has an allergist we go to

CafeMom Tickers
4kidz916
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM

The steak house here won't let us throw shells on the floor anymore.  A few years ago someone slipped and sued so everyone's fun ended.

Quoting goorob:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)