Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

*~Gifts from a Jar~*

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here's something you can do to share your baked goods ~

by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erin.09
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM

My step mom does something like this at christmas time.  She makes a hot chocolate jar though.  HOt chocolate mix on the botton.  Chocolate chips and topped with marshmellows.  SO good!

4kidz916
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM

That's a cute idea with the pops in the jar.  Last year at I Christmas I made gift baskets with gifts in a jar each one included a soup mix, cornbread mix, and brownie mix.  They ended up getting a complete meal.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

That is a really good idea!! I hope I remember that this year when it's closer to Christmas. LOL

Quoting 4kidz916:

That's a cute idea with the pops in the jar.  Last year at I Christmas I made gift baskets with gifts in a jar each one included a soup mix, cornbread mix, and brownie mix.  They ended up getting a complete meal.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Munchy Crunchy Cookies Recipe

Munchy Crunchy Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup cornflakes cereal
  • 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup rolled oats

Directions

1. In a 1 liter jar, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pack down, and add the remaining ingredients in the following order: sugar, brown sugar, cornflake cereal, coconut, chocolate chips, oatmeal. Pack down after each ingredient.
  2. Decorate jar, and attach a label with the following: Munchy Crunchy Cookies 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a large bowl, stir together 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 egg, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla. Add entire contents of the jar, and mix well. Roll dough into 2 inch balls, and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. 3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on wire racks.
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Sand Art Brownies

Ingredients

• 5/8 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup vanilla baking chips
  • 1/2 cup walnuts

Directions

1. Mix the 5/8 cup of flour with salt. In a clean, wide mouth 1 quart or 1 liter jar, layer the ingredients in the order given. Starting with the flour and salt mixture, and ending with the walnuts.
  2. Attach a decorative tag to the out side of the jar with the following directions: Sand Art Brownies: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x9 inch square baking pan. 2. Pour the contents of the jar into a large bowl, and mix well. 3. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2/3 cup vegetable oil, and 3 eggs. Beat until just combined. 4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

I like that the picture for this one is actually in a baggie...that would be much cheaper than using so many jars. =)
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Love Soup Mix in a Jar Recipe

Love Soup Mix in a Jar

"Makes a wonderful gift for a new bride-to-be, a friend under the weather, or just to say thanks! And it tastes great, too! Decorate the jar with a fabric lid and/or a bow tied around the neck. Be sure to attach the cooking instructions to the jar."

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onion
  • 1/2 cup dried split peas
  • 1/2 cup uncooked twist macaroni
  • 1/4 cup barley
  • 1/2 cup dry lentils
  • 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
  • 1 cup uncooked tri-color spiral pasta

Directions

1. Use a canning funnel or any funnel that has about a 2-inch neck. This will make it easier to fill the jar with the ingredients. Be sure to use a wide-mouth, 1-quart canning jar.
  2. Layer ingredients in the order given: bouillon, onion flakes, split peas, small shape pasta, barley, lentils, rice, and enough tricolor spiral pasta to fill jar.
  3. Attach tag with cooking instructions: In large kettle, brown 1 pound ground beef or stew beef cut into bite-size pieces in a little olive oil. Remove tricolor pasta from top of jar and reserve. Add the rest of the jar contents to the kettle with 12 cups water. Let come to a boil and simmer 45 minutes. Add tricolor pasta and simmer 15 minutes more. Serve with your favorite bread or rolls and a tossed salad.
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I love this idea :O) it could also just be handy for stocking up and having things ready to go for yourself

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Orange Dreamsicle Cookies in a jar

Ingredients

• 1⁄2 c powdered orange drink mix (Tang)
  • 3⁄4 c granulated sugar
  • 1 3⁄4 c all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
  • 1⁄2 t baking soda
  • 1⁄2 t baking powder
  • 1 canning jar, quart-size with lid and ring
  • 1 1⁄2 c vanilla baking chips

Instructions

Sift flour, measure, then stir in baking soda and baking powder.

Layer the ingredients in a clean glass wide mouth quart sized jar. For each jar, layer 3/4 cup granulated sugar, then 1/2 cup powdered drink mix, then 1 3/4 cup flour (mixed with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder), then 1 1/2 cups vanilla baking chips. Tamp the first three layers firmly to compact ingredients.

Attach a copy of the cooking directions on a tag using the instructions below.

Notes

Orange Dreamsicle Cookies

Preheat oven to 375°.

Empty jar into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 egg (slightly beaten)and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until well-blended

Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until tops are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack until completely cool.

Makes 2-1/2 dozen

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM

.shank.
Posted by 
 on Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM 
Group Mod - Meg

There are a couple popular techniques that can elevate simple dessert into something extra special. One trick is putting sweets on a stick.. cookies, cake pops, rice krispies treats and even mini pies somehow are much cuter on a stick! And it seems the same can be said of putting special treats in a jar... it can turn a simple cupcake, for example, into an extra adorable treat, perfect to take on a picnic, give as a party favor, or as a sweet thank you to a teacher, co-worker or friend.
I've been seeing lots of beautiful treats in jars... cheesecake in a jarcupcakes in a jar and even homemade cake mix in a jar. Everything it seems, looks better in a jar!
So, I recently headed to Wal-Mart and bought myself a case of 1/2 pint canning jars. Then I whipped up a batch of our household favorite... Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
I baked the cupcakes as I normally would, using cupcake liners in a regular sized muffin pan. Then, after the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I removed the liners and cut the cupcakes in half (horizontally). I placed a half cupcake in the bottom of a jar, piped a swirl of frosting, added another half cupcake, more icing, a third slice of cupcake and a final swirl of icing. So each jar contains 1 and 1/2 cupcakes. I would suggest being slightly stingy on the icing, or the amount of icing may overpower the cupcakes, but it comes down to personal preference too!
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Paula’s Homemade Blueberry Lemon Preserves

Paula’s Homemade Blueberry Lemon Preserves

5 stars based on 5 Reviews

Servings: 7 Jars

Prep Time: 20 min

Cook Time: 30 min

Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients

5 cups blueberries
6 1/2 cups sugar
Zest of two lemons
Juice of two lemons
2 (3 ounce) envelops liquid fruit pectin (Ball Fruit Jell)
7 (8 oz.) Canning Jars with lids

Directions

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer’s instructions.

In a large saucepan over high heat add blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Stir frequently while bringing to a rolling boil.  Stir in pectin and continue boiling for 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Skim any foam if necessary and ladle into the hot prepared jars.  Be sure to leave at least a 1/4” space at the top of the jar.  Place the cap on the jars and process for another 15 minutes in a canner with boiling water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)