Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

*~Puddings~*

Posted by   + Show Post

Ya gotta have a pudding pop! ~

by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 2:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM

If you want to make a sweet treat, Southern cooking is a great place to look. From sweet tea to chess pie, Southerners are known for having a serious sweet tooth. And one of our favorite Southern sweets is banana pudding. Not only is banana pudding a tasty treat with its light, delicate layers, it also looks lovely on the table.

This recipe gets its sweetness from the sugar and bananas, but what makes the flavor so good is the real vanilla bean, which lends such wonderful flavor that we don’t need to add too much sugar. Nilla wafers are traditional with banana pudding, but our dinner guest says she has a friend who uses chess men (the cookies, not actual chess pieces). This is a variation we’d like to try sometime, but tried-and-true Nilla wafers seem pretty hard to beat.

banana pudding2 Homemade Banana Pudding: Satisfy Your Southern Style Sweet Tooth

Classic Southern Banana Pudding (adapted from Food 52)

4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1 4” section of vanilla pod
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
50 Nilla Wafers, crushed
6 bananas

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and the salt. Whisk the eggs into the mixture one at a time.

In a medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat. Meanwhile, pour the remaining sugar into a small bowl. Split the vanilla pod, and scrape the seeds into the sugar. Rub the seeds into the sugar (this will help to avoid clumping). Whisk the sugar and the scraped vanilla pod into the milk and heat until the milk is steamy and small bubbles form on the sides of the saucepan.

Whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the eggs. Continue to slowly add the hot milk mixture until the eggs and milk are fully combined. Then pour the mixture back into the sauce pan and cook, stirring almost constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes. The mixture should thicken considerably. Remove the pan from heat and add in the vanilla extract.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, either over an ice bath, or covered in the fridge for several hours.

Beat the heavy cream to soft peaks, and fold 1 cup of the whipped cream into the chilled pudding. Mash up 2 of the bananas with a fork and fold those into the pudding as well. Fold in another cup of the whipped cream.

To assemble the banana pudding, slice the remaining bananas. Then, in a nice serving glass, add layers of the crushed Nilla wafers, 3 spoonfuls of pudding, sliced bananas, and a dollop of whipped cream in layers until each glass is full. Cover the glasses and chill for a few hours until you are ready to serve. Note that any bananas that are exposed to air will brown very quickly, so you may want to add a fresh banana garnish just before serving.

Serve each pudding cup with a dollop of whipped cream, a few banana slices, and a whole Nilla wafer.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Vanilla pudding 685x1024 A Simple, Creamy Vanilla Pudding Recipe

I know, pudding is traditionally all about chocolate. Sometimes butterscotch or caramel. But if you, like me, are a fan of good, pure vanilla – you might even have a vanilla bean kicking around, waiting to be made good use of – you’ll adore this creamy pudding. It’s like pastry cream you get to eat an entire bowl of – the essence of sweet comfort food. And it’s so easy to make from scratch – there’s no need to open a box.

This would make great use of those vanilla beans you’ve been hoarding – if you want to use a bean, split it in half lengthwise with the tip of a sharp knife, and scrape out the seeds with the blade. Drop them into your pudding mixture as it starts cooking, and tuck the rest of the pod into a jar – fill it with sugar and you’ll have lovely vanilla-infused sugar for your next batch.

Creamy Vanilla Pudding

1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the egg yolks, then the milk and place over medium heat. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Once it has bubbled for a full minute, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and vanilla. Stir until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Pour into individual bowls and set aside to cool slightly before eating warm. If you like, chill until set in the fridge, with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding if you want to prevent a “skin” from forming. Serves 4-6.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Nutella pudding Ten Minute Chocolate Fix: Creamy Nutella Pudding

When comfort food and dessert collide, what you wind up with is pudding. Warm or chilled, a creamy bowl of chocolate you can curl up and eat with a spoon is about as good as it gets. Even better if you’ve swirled a large spoonful of Nutella into the mix, allowing it to melt in along with the chocolate. Nutella pudding. Why did it take me so long to think of this?

Sure, you could do the same with a mix, but don’t bother – it’s almost as easy to make chocolate pudding from scratch, using real ingredients you probably have in your cupboard already. Make yours with 1% milk, soy milk, 2% or half & half if you’re going for indulgence. The chopped chocolate isn’t necessary, but it adds intensity to the flavor and creates an even creamier texture.

Creamy Chocolate Nutella Pudding

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
Pinch salt
2 cups milk or light cream
2 oz. chopped semi-sweet chocolate or 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup Nutella

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in about a cup of the milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth and well blended, then whisk in the remaining milk. Set the pan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Continue to cook the pudding for another minute.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate and Nutella. Let it sit for a few minutes to let the chocolate melt, and stir it until it’s smooth.

Divide the pudding between 4-6 small bowls. Let it cool for about 20 minutes and serve it warm, or put it in the fridge for at least half an hour (or several hours) and serve it cold. If you don’t like pudding “skin”, cover the surface with plastic wrap before you chill it. Serves 4.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Tiramisu Bowl

Tiramisu Bowl recipe

What You Need

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
3 cups  cold milk
2 pkg. (3.4 oz. each) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 tub  (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
48 NILLA Wafers
1/2 cup  brewed strong MAXWELL HOUSE Coffee, cooled
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, coarsely grated
1 cup  fresh raspberries

Make It

BEAT cream cheese in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Beat in milk and dry pudding mixes. Stir in 2 cups COOL WHIP.

LINE 2-1/2-qt. bowl with 24 wafers; drizzle with 1/4 cup coffee. Top with half each of the pudding mixture and chocolate. Repeat all layers.

TOP with remaining COOL WHIP and raspberries. Refrigerate 2 hours.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

HEALTHY LIVING
Save 60 calories and 4g of fat, including 2g sat fat, per serving by preparing with PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese, JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Fat Free Sugar Free Instant Pudding, COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping and Reduced Fat NILLA Wafers.
SIZE-WISE
Since this indulgent dessert makes 16 servings, it's the perfect dessert to serve at your next party.
HOW TO EASILY GRATE CHOCOLATE
Unwrap chocolate squares, leaving each square on paper wrapper. Microwave on HIGH 10 sec., then grate with the largest hole of a cheese shredder.
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I made this dessert for our family get together tomorrow.

My mom loves anything pistachio so I thought she'd enjoy this.  I usually make this with just vanilla pudding so this is a fun little twist.

Pistachio Eclair Dessert

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pistachio-Eclair-Dessert

Pistachio Eclair Dessert Recipe

Ingredients

• 3 cups cold whole milk
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant French vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 package (14.4 ounces) graham crackers
  • 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting

Directions

• In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping.
  • In a 13-in. x 9-in. dish, layer a third of the graham crackers and half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining graham crackers. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  • Spoon frosting into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 15-20 seconds or until softened, stirring once. Spread over graham crackers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or until frosting is set. Yield: 15-20 servings.
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Raspberry Dessert Bites

carolina_gal
Posted by 
 on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM 
Bronze Member

http://www.madewithpink.com/2011/06/raspberry-lemon-cheesecake-bites.html

Raspberry Dessert Bites

2 Cups Fresh Raspberries, washed 
Lemond Curd, homemade or store bought - it doesn't matter! 

No Bake Cheesecake Filling:

8oz (227g) Cream Cheese (don't use light, as it won't work the same) 
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp (37g) Granulated / Castor Sugar 
1/4 cup (60ml) Whipping Cream or Double Cream 
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract   

Instructions:

1. Wash your raspberries and set aside.  In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer until nice and smooth. 

2. Whip the cream, and then fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture so it's fully combined.  Fold gently though - you don't want to loose all the air in the cream! 

3. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to firm up. 

4.  Fill two piping bags fitted with small star tips with your fillings - 1 with lemon curd and the other with the cheesecake mixture (note: if you don't have any piping tips or bags you can put each filling into a plastic zip lock bag and snip the tips off of them).  One by one, take each raspberry and carefully fill each one with either the cheesecake or lemon filling making sure not to squeeze the raspberries too much or they'll go to mush!  Fill them all, and then snack away!

As I mentioned before, these would be a great party snack if you lined a bunch of them up on a wooden bamboo skewer.  They'd also make a great garnish for cakes, cheesecakes and cupcakes!

**I made quite a few of these, and couldn't finish them all so I ended up freezing the remaining ones to throw in my fruit smoothies!

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Dirt cake.... Your little ones will love this... almost as much as me lol

.shank.
Posted by 
 on Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM 
Group Mod - Meg

I loved Paula’s dirt cake recipe recipe so much that I just had to try it. My daughter was definitely skeptical as the project began and I insisted upon layer a cake in her sand pail. But then we started burying worms in top and she thought that was quite nifty and was happy to get in the game with me. She even tried to trick her Dad when we came home from work and showed him her new worm collection! He gamely played a long. I think I might try packing this into little flower pots this summer for a fun treat!

Sand Pail Dirt Cake

1 large pkg. oreo cookies
3 cups milk
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 small packages instant vanilla pudding
1 cup powdered sugar
1 large container Cool Whip topping
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Crush cookies into fine crumbs in the food processor. Put one third of the crushed cookies the bottom of a large sand pail.

2. In an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, then beat in sugar. Fold in whipped topping.

3. In a separate bowl, mix pudding, milk and vanilla. Fold cream cheese mixture into pudding mixture. Pour one half over cookie layer and sprinkle with remaining a layer of cookie crumbs, place the second layer of cream cheese mixture over the top, and top with the last third of the cookie crumbs. Chill to set

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM

CHOCOLATE MACAROON RICE PUDDING  
2 c. cooked rice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. dark chocolate (chips are fine)
1 vanilla bean
1 c. flake coconut
2 c. milk
Place all ingredients in a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and mixture is of pudding consistency. On a dry winter day Time may be 20 min or in the wet summer may take 30-40min. May add a shot of rum. Serve warm or cold.
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

• daiseymae2
  • by   Group Mod - Tawny on Dec. 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM
  •  

Cookies 'N Cream Pudding

Cookies 'N Cream Pudding recipe
    previous photo 
     of 
     next photo
    photo by: 
    kraft

what you need

8 OREO Cookies, divided
    1 pkg.  (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
    2 cups cold milk
    3/4 cup  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided

make it

BREAK 1 cookie into 4 pieces; reserve for garnish. Crush remaining cookies.

BEAT pudding mix and milk with whisk 2 min. Stir in crushed cookies and 1/2 cup COOL WHIP.

SPOON into 4 dessert dishes; top with remaining COOL WHIP and reserved cookie pieces.

kraft kitchens tips

SIZE-WISE
    Sweets can be part of a balanced diet but remember to keep tabs on portions.
    SUBSTITUTE
    For a double-chocolate hit, prepare using 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding.
    HOW TO CRUSH COOKIES
    Place cookies in resealable bag; seal bag. Finely crush cookies with rolling pin or bottom of skillet.
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM

carolina_gal
Posted by 
 on May. 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM 
Bronze Member

Quick 'N Easy Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients:
1 pkg Chocolate instant pudding
1 Cool Whip

Preparations:
Make the pudding according to package directions. Fold in Cool Whip until you reach your desired consistency, then refrigerate. Serve chilled with Cool Whip garnish if desired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)