Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

*~ Pastries ~*

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

Easy Apple Danish

recipe image 
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Servings: 30
"This dough should be refrigerated for at least 2 hours. I often prepare it the night before and bake the rolls fresh in the morning as a special breakfast treat."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115
degrees)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
1 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
2 eggs, beaten
FILLING:
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes),
melted
GLAZE:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and eggs by hand. turn onto a floured surface; knead about 20 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2.For filling, combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in of edges. Starting with a short side, fold one third of the side over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 15 slices. Twist each slice a few times; pinch ends together, forming a small circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Homemade pop tarts

Total time: 2 hours

Servings: 8 pop tarts

Note: The pie dough also makes enough dough for 1 double-crust or 2 single-crust pies.

Pie dough

3/4 cup plus 2 tablepsoons (1¾ sticks) butter

1/2 cup cold water

13/4 cups (7.4 ounces) flour

1/2 cup (2.25 ounces) whole wheat flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 egg yolk

1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

1. Cut the butter into medium-sized cubes and put it in the freezer. Put half a cup of cold water in the freezer too while you assemble the other ingredients for the recipe. Put two sheets of plastic wrap, about 24 inches long, on a work surface, overlapping them lengthwise by a few inches so that they form a big triangle.

2. Put the flours, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor, then pulse it once or twice to make sure the ingredients are combined. In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolk and vinegar. When the butter is quite hard, after about one-half hour, add the pieces to the food processor. Pulse it a half dozen times, until the pieces of butter are about the size of jelly beans.

3. Take the ice water out of the freezer (it should be very cold but not frozen) and mix it into the egg and vinegar mixture. Immediately add this to the mixture in the food processor and pulse until the mixture begins to come together. The bits of butter will still be visible, about the size of peas.

4. Dump the mixture 
out into the middle of the plastic wrap. Pull the edges of the plastic up around the dough, squashing it together and blending in the streaks of butter, which you should still be able to see in the dough. Don't overwork the dough or blend in all the butter: it should be streaky and just come together.

5. Using the plastic to press the dough, form it into a rectangle, wrapping the plastic tightly around the dough in the process. Put the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. (You can keep it in the refrigerator for a few days and up to a month in the freezer.)

Pop tart assembly

1 recipe pie dough

About 1 cup filling (frangipane, Nutella, strawberry or any fruit preserves, or filling of your choice)

1 egg, beaten

1. Take the chilled pie dough out of the refrigerator. Divide it in half, and put both portions on a floured work surface.

2. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin into a rectangle until it measures 9 by 12 inches. Use a ruler to measure the sides and to keep them straight. As you roll the dough out to the right shape, press the ruler up against the dough to keep the sides and the angles true.

3. Using the ruler, divide the rectangle in half lengthwise, pressing the ruler down slightly so that you can see the lines. Divide the rectangle in half, then in half again width-wise, so you have 8 rectangles of 3 inches by 4½ inches each. Do the same thing for the other piece of dough. Cut each piece of dough into rectangles, following the lines imprinted by the ruler.

4. Using a pastry brush or a new paintbrush, brush half of the squares with the beaten egg, making sure you get to the edges.

5. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of each brushed rectangle, spreading it out a little but making sure that there's at least one-half inch of dough around the edges that does not have filling on it. Gently lift a second rectangle of unbrushed pastry on top of the one with the filling on it, pressing down along the edges so that the two pieces of dough stick together.

5. Using a fork, press the tines around the edges of all the tarts (dip it into your jar of flour to keep it from sticking). Prick the tops of the tarts in neat rows, to let the steam escape during baking. Place the tarts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the tarts in the freezer for half an hour while you heat your oven to 375 degrees.

6. Just before putting the tarts in the oven, brush the tops with some of the remaining egg wash. Bake the tarts on a rack in the middle of the oven until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the tarts on a rack.

Each pop tart with frangipane filling: 487 calories; 8 grams protein; 46 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 31 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 140 mg cholesterol; 16 grams sugar; 237 mg sodium.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Homemade Nutella Strawberry White Chocolate Pop Tarts

by JENNIFER on MARCH 4, 2011

Post image for Nuttier Than Charlie Sheen: Homemade Nutella Strawberry White Chocolate Pop Tarts

Oh my, you must forgive me for the title of this post. See the other day while my sweet little nuggets were at school, I was browsing through my morning blog visiting ritual and I ran across a droolicious post on nutella pop tarts. During this tasty excursion, the television was on in the background and was playing one of the many zany Charlie Sheen rants interviews.

In my head I had swirling images of nutella (hazelnuts) pop tarts and charlie sheen (crrrrr-a-zy talk) and then they combined into one thought: Sheen-nuttiness. And so I ran into the kitchen and began dreaming up all kinds of poptarty plans: maybe with strawberries and then with…..oh wait…..I can’t give it away now my salivating peeps. Maybe this is just the beginning of poptart-a-poolza!

Or shall we call it nutty-pa-looza? so-not-a-rock-star-pa-looza?

Homemade Nutella Strawberry White Chocolate Pop Tarts (yield 4-5 pop tarts)

1 package of refrigerated pie crust (preferably the non-hydrogenated oils and sludge kind or make your own)
6-7 teaspoons of Nutella
a few organic strawberries, thinly sliced

Topping:
white chocolate, melted

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

2. Bring the pie crust to room temperature and then roll out atop a lightly floured surface. I try to roll mine into a more rectangle-ish shape, then measure and score it into 3×4 rectangles. I then used my super sharp pizza cutter to cut out the rectangles.

3. Place the rectangles onto a cookie/baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spoon 1 teaspoon of nutella onto 4 (half the yield) of the rectangles, leaving about 1/4 inch of space at each edge. Place a few slices of strawberry on top of the nutella.

4. Place the 4 remaining rectangular pieces of pie crust on top of the nutella & strawberry covered pieces. Using a fork, seal the edges together gently, and bake for 13-15 minutes

5. Place 3 ‘pieces/chunks’ of a white chocolate bar into a microwave safe bowl and warm for 30 seconds on 50% power. Mix and repeat until the chocolate is melted. Transfer it to a small plastic baggy, cut a teeny tiny piece off the corner and then drizzle the chocolate over the pop tarts and serve. Listen for all the ‘Mmmmm’s’.

Is this not nutty enough? oh, you wait. I have all kinds of gooey nutty goodness on the way!

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Cannoli Recipe

Cannoli Needs Cannoli Shells if Learning How to Make Italian Recipes

The cannoli recipe is very familiar to those of us who love Italian dessert recipes. These sweet Sicilian cream rolls has a dough than is rolled thin, wrapped around metal tubes and fried to make a crisp shell. Then they are filled with a ricotta mixture, sometimes adding a little chopped fruit or chopped chocolate.

RECIPE FOR CANNOLI

Dough:

• 1 ¾ Cups flour

• ½ Teaspoon salt

• 1 Egg, whole

• 2 Tablespoons butter, chopped in small pieces

• ¼ Cup Marsala wine

• 1 Egg white, slightly beaten

• Vegetable oil for frying

In a bowl mix the flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in center and add whole egg and butter. Mix with a fork to moisten flour. Add wine, a little at a time, until dough starts clinging together. Using hands shape dough into a ball. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Roll dough out on a floured board until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into 3 ½ inch circles; roll circles into a slight oval. Wrap oval dough around cannoli tubes and seal edges with the egg white.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep pan to about 350F degrees on a deep fry thermometer. Put 2 to 3 cannoli tubes into hot oil and cook until golden brown. With tongs, remove from oil. Cool for a few seconds and carefully remove the shell from the tube. Cool completely.

Cannoli filling:

• ½ Cup whipping cream

• 2 Cups ricotta cheese

• 3/4 Cups powdered sugar

• 2 Teaspoons vanilla

• ¼ Cup candied citron, finely chopped

• ¼ Cup candied orange peel, finely chopped

• 2 Tablespoons chopped milk chocolate

Whip cream until stiff and set aside. Mix ricotta cheese until very smooth and add the sugar and vanilla. Fold the whipped cream into the ricotta mixture. Chill for several hours.

TIP: Wrap Ricotta in a cheese cloth until all the liquid is absorbed.

Use a large pastry tube to force filling into shells. Garnish with citron, orange peel and chocolate.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Strawberry Breakfast Crescents
Enjoy sweet rolls made with Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls and Betty Crocker® Fruit Roll¬Ups® Strawberry Fruit Snack – breakfast ready in 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Total Time: 30 Min
Makes: 8

INGREDIENTS:
1 (8-oz.) can Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
4 rolls Betty Crocker® Fruit Roll­Ups® Strawberry Fruit Snack
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
DIRECTIONS:
  • Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll dough; separate into 8 triangles.
  • Unroll fruit snack rolls; cut each diagonally into 2 triangles. Place each fruit roll triangle on 1 dough triangle (fold or tuck each fruit roll so all is on dough). Roll up each dough triangle, starting with shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point; place point side down on sprayed cookie sheet. Curve into crescent shape.
  • Bake at 350°F. for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk until smooth and desired drizzling consistency.
  • Drizzle glaze evenly over warm rolls. Serve warm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN