|3/4||cup sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar|
|3||ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped|
|1/2||cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1/3||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/4||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/4||of an 8-ounce container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed|
|1||cup fresh raspberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line eighteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture almost boils. Stir in the chocolate until melted. Remove from heat. Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually stir the chocolate mixture into egg yolks; stir in vanilla (mixture may appear slightly grainy). Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together cocoa powder, the flour, and baking powder. Stir in chocolate-egg yolk mixture until smooth. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir a small amount of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg whites. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.**
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in cups on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from cups; cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To serve, top cupcakes with whipped topping and berries. Makes 18 cupcakes.
*Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking or Equal® Sugar Lite. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar.
Nutrition Analysis: same as above except; 79 cal., 11 g carb., 7 g sugar
** If using a sugar substitute only fill muffin cups about 1/2 full.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings: 18 cupcakes
- Total Fat (g)3
- Saturated Fat (g)2
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)1
- Cholesterol (mg)23
- Sodium (mg)22
- Carbohydrate (g)16
- Total Sugar (g)11
- Fiber (g)2
- Protein (g)2
- Vitamin C (DV%)3
- Calcium (DV%)2
- Iron (DV%)5
- Starch (d.e.)1
- Fat (d.e.).5