Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Betty Crocker Cake mix....no eggs.

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have white betty crocker cake mix, I was going to make cupcakes. The recipe calls for 3 eggs, and I just realized I am out...are there any substitutions I can use that wont affect the taste too much?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Here's a bump.  I'm not sure about substituting eggs.  I have substituted oil though.

1busymomma03
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

You can take a box mix and add a can of soda (for white cake you would use Sprite or some other clear soda, for choclate you can use a dark soda..Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, or even Cherry flavored drinks). Don't add anything else at all..just the cake mix and soda. It comes out fluffy and moist. I have done this in the past for my youngest DD that has lots of food allergies.

lilygracesmoma
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Quoting 1busymomma03:

You can take a box mix and add a can of soda (for white cake you would use Sprite or some other clear soda, for choclate you can use a dark soda..Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, or even Cherry flavored drinks). Don't add anything else at all..just the cake mix and soda. It comes out fluffy and moist. I have done this in the past for my youngest DD that has lots of food allergies.

I have never heard of this, im definitely trying it out! Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
countjb
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

That's interesting. How much soda do you add. A can or a bottle?

1busymomma03
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Just a regular 12 oz can of soda. =)

Quoting countjb:

That's interesting. How much soda do you add. A can or a bottle?

1busymomma03
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Quoting lilygracesmoma:

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have never heard of this, im definitely trying it out! Thanks!

You are very welcome. I first read about doing it online somewhere when I was searching for cake recipes for my youngest DD. I was so happy when I found out I could do this...but then we found out she had more allergies than we knew of, so she couldn't even have the cake mixes anymore. =/ 

4kidz916
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:36 PM

That's an awesome tip.  I'll have to try that.

olivejuicebby
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Quoting 4kidz916:

That's an awesome tip.  I'll have to try that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
frndlyfn
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Hmm interesting.  I have heard of mayo being used when eggs arent available as well.  I dont know how much though.

.shank.
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

A tablespoon of mayo for every egg, I do it ALL the time! I swear its even moister this way :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN