Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My First Fudge...Pun intended...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I made my first fudge yesterday (finally) after deciding that it was more than high time I made some.  And boy did I fudge the recipe...

(For those who have read my posts before I like to share mess up because they're mostly amusing and it's a good laugh at myself.)

Firstly, to clarify, the end result turned out okay.  It wasn't quite as uniformly mixed as I'd've liked...but I mixed dry into wet and I have a feeling I ought now to have done that.  Also I didn't quite use the proper accoutrements to make it (my peanut butter & butter melting bowl was too small and it nearly bubbled over) and *gasp* I used a metal spoon rather than a wooden one.

Now never having made fudge before when I read in my directions that it would stiffen up I really didn't appreciate quite what that meant.  It meant it would be near impossible to stir and I am one that always hand mixes everything...so I'm pretty tough on it and still sheesh, it nearly defeated disaster.

Also, I have never (although this is unsurprising as I am a novice baker) used powdered sugar before and did not anticipate the fact that when pouring it it would go flying everywhere (coating the bottom of my pants, the floor, and front of the oven...)

All in all it was an interesting learning experience.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
4kidz916
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Oh, no.  We all have incidents like that.  Learn from the mistakes.  lol  Just curious, was this a cooked fudge recipe?  

1busymomma03
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

LOL! Sorry you had such a hard time. I have never made fudge before...this story kind of makes me afraid to even try! LOL

WhichMommee
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I don't think you could call this cooked.  You microwave the peanut butter & butter to melt it, but that's seriously it.

And it's really not hard at all.  I chose this recipe for it's ease and simplicity.  Really it was just a funny story I laughed at myself and yelled at the peanut butter & sugar but it wasn't as bad as it may sound.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/peanut-butter-fudge-recipe/index.html

melaniecerise
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Interesting day for you. Just learn from the mistake and do it better next time

WhichMommee
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So just another update.  Something I remembered doing (but didn't write down) I found that adding a smidge more peanut butter was a good idea.  For me the cup just wasn't quite enough to the pound of sugar (it gummed up WAY too fast and more resembled a crumble than a fudge).  So for anyone who tries it, use your discretion and add a few spoonfuls more if you like.  It's still plenty sweet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)