Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes.

Posted by   + Show Post

GREEN ONION-PARSLEY POTATO PANCAKES

1 1/4 c. peeled, cubed baking potato, about 1/2 lb.

2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

3/4 c. thinly sliced green onions

1/2 c. (2 oz.) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

1/3 c. plain low-fat yogurt

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

Dash of ground nutmeg

1 egg, beaten

Vegetable cooking spray

Place cubed potato in a medium saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer potato 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and

let cool.

Combine potato and flour in a large bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in green onions, cheese, parsley, yogurt, salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg.

Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter per pancake onto a hot non-stick griddle coated with cooking spray. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Serve

warm. Yield: 16 (2") pancakes (about 34 calories per. Enjoy

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM
Replies (11-17):
frndlyfn
by Heather on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:10 AM

I will post more when i am more awake... Do you think i should post all potato recipes in here or just ones that feature potatoes as a leading start in recipe?  I have one called plum pie that uses potatoes.

Mommy2TwinGirls
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
This sounds super yummy!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Baked Potato Casserole

• 5 pounds red potatoes, cooked and cubed
  • 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 4 cups cubed Cheddar cheese
  • 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon minced chives
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, combine potatoes and bacon. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add to potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 4-1/2-qt. Baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I love potatoes.  Thanks for posting these. 

WandBmamma
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM
I will have to find my recipe for potato candy!.! And yes it really is candy and you won know its potatoes!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Heather on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

1 cup milk, scalded
1/2 to 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
1 cup warm potato water
2 pkg active dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
6 large tbsp. butter, lard or Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
5-6 cups flour (or enough to make a soft dough)
In a saucepan, scald milk, heating until tiny bubbles appear around the edge of the pan and the milk is steaming hot. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lard or Crisco. When melted, stir in the cold mashed potatoes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a pyrex measuring cup, dissolve yeast in warm potato water with 1 tbsp. sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes to proof (mixture should become foamy if yeast is active).
In a large bowl, combine above ingredients with 2 cups of the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and 3 eggs; beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add and stir in remaining flour until dough ball begins to leave the sides of the bowl (a dough hook may be used to mix in remaining flour and knead the dough if available).
On a work surface lightly dusted with flour, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn once to coat on all sides. Let rise until doubled in size (an hour or two, or however long as it takes in your environment).
Punch dough down and make up into your recipe for sweet rolls, crescents, clover leaf rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc.
Let rise, again, in a warm, draft-free place until doubled.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (more or less, depending on size of rolls) in a preheated 350°F oven.

melaniecerise
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I love potatoes and these are all creative recipes

frndlyfn
by Heather on Jan. 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I am still waiting to see the potato candy recipe from one of our members.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)