Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten Free and Dairy Free

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
Love to Cook and Bake from scratch, especially cupcakes!

Love any suggestions for dairy ingredient substitutes.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Soy, rice, potato, almond, oat, hemp and coconut milks are all possible substitutes for cow's milk. While the amount of protein in each of these forms of milk varies compared to cow's milk, they are usually fortified with similar amounts of calcium and vitamin D. If you aren't dealing with a soy allergy, soy milk is a good option because it usually has similar amounts of calories, protein, calcium and vitamin D as cow's milk.

Potato milk is available in specialty food stores in powder form. Vance's Foods DariFree Original Powder Gluten-Free Beverage is the brand that I have tried. It works well as a substitute in cooking and baking. Like other milk substitutes, it is fortified with calcium and other nutrients.

1busymomma03
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM

What types of things are you wanting to make? It's always much easier to find recipes that have little to no dairy ingredients in them. There are some substitutes you can use, but it depends on what you are making as to what you should use to replace the dairy ingredients. I do some allergy free baking for my youngest DD. She has LOTS of food allergies (including wheat/gluten and all dairy products). If there is anything in particular that you are interested in making I might be able to help you find some good recipes. =)

WandBmamma
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Try Vegan recipies! They are both gluten and dairy free!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I love the Silk Almond milk and my kids like it as well. 

1busymomma03
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Vegan recipes are great when looking for dairy free and egg free foods, but they aren't gluten free. You can always try to replace the regular flour with a gluten free all purpose flour and see how that turns out. I will try to find my recipe for gluten free all purpose flour.

Quoting WandBmamma:

Try Vegan recipies! They are both gluten and dairy free!

1busymomma03
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Here is one recipe for gluten free all purpose flour. I have used this a few times with good results.

cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com/2011/09/gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-mix.html

This is the blog of a fellow CM'er. She gave me the recipe recently, and it has worked perfectly in a few recipes that I have tried. I had great results with it in a chocolate wacky cake. I will give you the recipe for that cake too. It is dairy free and egg free too. It's the cake recipe that I use most often with my youngest DD, and I always have good results with it.

Chocolate Wacky Cake
There are no eggs in this chocolate wacky cake, and mixing is easy.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup cold water

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened. Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.

To make this cake gluten free, I just replaced the all purpose flour with gluten free all purpose flour. I used the recipe in the blog that I mentioned, but any gluten free all purpose flour should work. The key to a good gluten free all purpose flour is using a mixture of different flours, so you could probably play around with the measurements a bit and see what works best for you.

melaniecerise
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don't have any personally, but I would research it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)