Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101
So my mother decided she wants to do cake pops for my SiL's baby shower instead of a cake. she bought a cake pop pan, so the actual baking part is not the problem - my problem is that I have no idea how to decorate them. Ddo you HAVE to dip them in melted chocolate or can they somehow be frosted with regular frosting? If dipped in chocolate, do i immdiately have to dip in sprinkles or wait for the choc to firm up a bit? Argh, im great with baking but totally lost with the creativity of decorating what i have baked. Help please!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep :-D

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I will give that a try - So are you saying you bake the cake, crumble it, mix it with frosting, roll it into balls and coat them in chocolate? I am going into a sugar coma just thinking about it:D

Quoting katzmeow726:

I never do the pops...honestly I just use a pair of tongs, tap of the extra coating and set them on a baking sheet to dry.

What are you using for the filling?  Sometimes I have better luck using a store bought cake mix, with store bought frosting.  I mix all the frosting with a crumbled cake in a bowl, and roll in to balls.  I'll chill the cake balls for about 30 minutes, then dip them in the coating.  They may not be as pretty as others, but they seem to work out well. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

They would be perfect for the baby shower i am throwing but i can't get my pops to stay together much less be round *sigh* Betty Crocker I am apparently not!!!

Quoting katzmeow726:

All of those are just amazing!

Quoting 4kidz916:

LoveMyBoyK
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM
I am definitely trying your method!! Espec now that Duncan Hines (I think) has those new Frosting Creation thingies - i am thinking choc cake with mint chocolate frosting cake balls or vanilla cake with orange cream frosting. Yummmm!!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I will give that a try - So are you saying you bake the cake, crumble it, mix it with frosting, roll it into balls and coat them in chocolate? I am going into a sugar coma just thinking about it:D

Quoting katzmeow726:

I never do the pops...honestly I just use a pair of tongs, tap of the extra coating and set them on a baking sheet to dry.

What are you using for the filling?  Sometimes I have better luck using a store bought cake mix, with store bought frosting.  I mix all the frosting with a crumbled cake in a bowl, and roll in to balls.  I'll chill the cake balls for about 30 minutes, then dip them in the coating.  They may not be as pretty as others, but they seem to work out well. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

They would be perfect for the baby shower i am throwing but i can't get my pops to stay together much less be round *sigh* Betty Crocker I am apparently not!!!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I always make my cake pops by using crumbled cake mixed with icing too. Just be careful not to add too much frosting. Some recipes online say to use half to a full can of frosting, but that is way too much IMO. I usually use just a couple spoonfuls. Add a little at a time until the consistency is right. You want it to roll into a nice ball, but you don't want it too mushy.

LoveMyBoyK
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I always make my cake pops by using crumbled cake mixed with icing too. Just be careful not to add too much frosting. Some recipes online say to use half to a full can of frosting, but that is way too much IMO. I usually use just a couple spoonfuls. Add a little at a time until the consistency is right. You want it to roll into a nice ball, but you don't want it too mushy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

oooh, the mint ones sound really good!

I was thinking about doing some red velvet cake,mixed with cream cheese frosting, coated with white candy coating, and red sprinkles this weekend....yep, thats a definite.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I am definitely trying your method!! Espec now that Duncan Hines (I think) has those new Frosting Creation thingies - i am thinking choc cake with mint chocolate frosting cake balls or vanilla cake with orange cream frosting. Yummmm!!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting 4kidz916:

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

My dear...there is no such thing as too much frosting :-D

LOL! 

Quoting 1busymomma03:

HopefulMommy89
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I agree with all of this :) I made some disco ball cake pops for a millionaire's birthday party, and instead of sprinkles, etc., I used disco dust (edible glitter). They came out really pretty!! I posted pics of them in one of my other groups but I'm mobile and don't know how to post them while I'm mobile :/

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have made tons of cake pops (and cake balls)! My family loves them, and I have gotten a few orders from others as well.

I don't think there is any way to decorate them with regular icing..that would be super messy. When decorating with sprinkles, you put the sprinkles on immediately after you dip them in chocolate. The sprinkles won't stick if the chocolate has hardened.

There are some really good tutorials online about  how to dip them and how to get a smooth look to the coating on them.

Some tips that I could give you based on personal experience...

Add some Crisco shortening to the chocolate or candy melts to help make the coating smooth.

Make sure to get a lot of the excess chocolate coating off of the cake pops before decorating...if there is too much chocolate on it will all run down the stick and make a mess. LOL.

I wouldn't roll the cake pops in sprinkles..just sprinkle it on from above..it sticks really well while the chocolate is still "wet".

You can also decorate the cake pops by drizzling a different color on top (you need to let the chocolate coating on the cake pop harden before doing this. )This is done easily if you melt some candy melts or chocolate in a ziploc bag in the microwave. Cut a very small hole in the tip, and pipe the drizzle design onto the cake pop.

Here are a few pics of some that I have done.

These below aren't on sticks, but I wanted to show you another way that I decorate them sometimes. If you look at the red and green ones toward the right side of the picture, you can see the swirl design. To make these, I just used a spoon to generously drizzle both red and green melted candy melts onto the cake pop. Then I tapped it against the side of a bowl and twirled it around as I was tapping to slightly combine the colors. It gave it a really cool marbled effect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Oooh, what group did you post them in? I want to see!! LOL

Quoting HopefulMommy89:

I agree with all of this :) I made some disco ball cake pops for a millionaire's birthday party, and instead of sprinkles, etc., I used disco dust (edible glitter). They came out really pretty!! I posted pics of them in one of my other groups but I'm mobile and don't know how to post them while I'm mobile :/

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have made tons of cake pops (and cake balls)! My family loves them, and I have gotten a few orders from others as well.

I don't think there is any way to decorate them with regular icing..that would be super messy. When decorating with sprinkles, you put the sprinkles on immediately after you dip them in chocolate. The sprinkles won't stick if the chocolate has hardened.

There are some really good tutorials online about  how to dip them and how to get a smooth look to the coating on them.

Add some Crisco shortening to the chocolate or candy melts to help make the coating smooth.

Make sure to get a lot of the excess chocolate coating off of the cake pops before decorating...if there is too much chocolate on it will all run down the stick and make a mess. LOL.

I wouldn't roll the cake pops in sprinkles..just sprinkle it on from above..it sticks really well while the chocolate is still "wet".

You can also decorate the cake pops by drizzling a different color on top (you need to let the chocolate coating on the cake pop harden before doing this. )This is done easily if you melt some candy melts or chocolate in a ziploc bag in the microwave. Cut a very small hole in the tip, and pipe the drizzle design onto the cake pop.

These below aren't on sticks, but I wanted to show you another way that I decorate them sometimes. If you look at the red and green ones toward the right side of the picture, you can see the swirl design. To make these, I just used a spoon to generously drizzle both red and green melted candy melts onto the cake pop. Then I tapped it against the side of a bowl and twirled it around as I was tapping to slightly combine the colors. It gave it a really cool marbled effect.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM

You're welcome!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting 1busymomma03:

HopefulMommy89
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM
It's in one of my TTC groups that's locked :(

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Oooh, what group did you post them in? I want to see!! LOL

Quoting HopefulMommy89:

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN