Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my mother decided she wants to do cake pops for my SiL's baby shower instead of a cake. she bought a cake pop pan, so the actual baking part is not the problem - my problem is that I have no idea how to decorate them. Ddo you HAVE to dip them in melted chocolate or can they somehow be frosted with regular frosting? If dipped in chocolate, do i immdiately have to dip in sprinkles or wait for the choc to firm up a bit? Argh, im great with baking but totally lost with the creativity of decorating what i have baked. Help please!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww man. I'm not sure how to add a picture from mobile either.. Maybe someone here would be able to tell you how to do it? LOL

Quoting HopefulMommy89:

It's in one of my TTC groups that's locked :(

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Oooh, what group did you post them in? I want to see!! LOL

Quoting HopefulMommy89:

I agree with all of this :) I made some disco ball cake pops for a millionaire's birthday party, and instead of sprinkles, etc., I used disco dust (edible glitter). They came out really pretty!! I posted pics of them in one of my other groups but I'm mobile and don't know how to post them while I'm mobile :/

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have made tons of cake pops (and cake balls)! My family loves them, and I have gotten a few orders from others as well.

I don't think there is any way to decorate them with regular icing..that would be super messy. When decorating with sprinkles, you put the sprinkles on immediately after you dip them in chocolate. The sprinkles won't stick if the chocolate has hardened.

There are some really good tutorials online about  how to dip them and how to get a smooth look to the coating on them.

Some tips that I could give you based on personal experience...

Add some Crisco shortening to the chocolate or candy melts to help make the coating smooth.

Make sure to get a lot of the excess chocolate coating off of the cake pops before decorating...if there is too much chocolate on it will all run down the stick and make a mess. LOL.

I wouldn't roll the cake pops in sprinkles..just sprinkle it on from above..it sticks really well while the chocolate is still "wet".

You can also decorate the cake pops by drizzling a different color on top (you need to let the chocolate coating on the cake pop harden before doing this. )This is done easily if you melt some candy melts or chocolate in a ziploc bag in the microwave. Cut a very small hole in the tip, and pipe the drizzle design onto the cake pop.

Here are a few pics of some that I have done.

These below aren't on sticks, but I wanted to show you another way that I decorate them sometimes. If you look at the red and green ones toward the right side of the picture, you can see the swirl design. To make these, I just used a spoon to generously drizzle both red and green melted candy melts onto the cake pop. Then I tapped it against the side of a bowl and twirled it around as I was tapping to slightly combine the colors. It gave it a really cool marbled effect.

darrensmom11
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
They're so pretty.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I have made tons of cake pops (and cake balls)! My family loves them, and I have gotten a few orders from others as well.

I don't think there is any way to decorate them with regular icing..that would be super messy. When decorating with sprinkles, you put the sprinkles on immediately after you dip them in chocolate. The sprinkles won't stick if the chocolate has hardened.

There are some really good tutorials online about  how to dip them and how to get a smooth look to the coating on them.

Some tips that I could give you based on personal experience...

Add some Crisco shortening to the chocolate or candy melts to help make the coating smooth.

Make sure to get a lot of the excess chocolate coating off of the cake pops before decorating...if there is too much chocolate on it will all run down the stick and make a mess. LOL.

I wouldn't roll the cake pops in sprinkles..just sprinkle it on from above..it sticks really well while the chocolate is still "wet".

You can also decorate the cake pops by drizzling a different color on top (you need to let the chocolate coating on the cake pop harden before doing this. )This is done easily if you melt some candy melts or chocolate in a ziploc bag in the microwave. Cut a very small hole in the tip, and pipe the drizzle design onto the cake pop.

Here are a few pics of some that I have done.

These below aren't on sticks, but I wanted to show you another way that I decorate them sometimes. If you look at the red and green ones toward the right side of the picture, you can see the swirl design. To make these, I just used a spoon to generously drizzle both red and green melted candy melts onto the cake pop. Then I tapped it against the side of a bowl and twirled it around as I was tapping to slightly combine the colors. It gave it a really cool marbled effect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darrensmom11
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Did you make these? They're beautiful. How did you decorate them? Icing? Different color cake mix? Is it a special type of mix or Can any cake box mix work?

Quoting 4kidz916:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniferw10
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I bought the pan to make them but I haven't tried yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melaniecerise
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

i think melted chocolate works the best

LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Attempt number 2 - ugly but successful:D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

good job :O) they look better then mine lol

LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Thanks. DH and DS are loving to eat them and encouraging me to keep practicing:D

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

They must be yummy then :O)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Thanks. DH and DS are loving to eat them and encouraging me to keep practicing:D

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Latest attempt - i think I am getting better at this, at least a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)