Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Fondant

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
Is it easy to learn?
How do I start?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
katzmeow726
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I wish I knew...it always looks so cool, and fun to use.   But I am sooo very untalented lol.  And truth be told, i can't stand the stuff LOL!  If I were to use it, it would be just for fun

Mom2Addison12
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

i'm curious as well because i want to use it once i start in my own home and start my making and etc.

darrensmom11
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Is that the thick clay like decorative type icing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bart1974
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM
There are a bunch of recipes out there for homemade fondant. It is also available at any craft store that sells decorating supplies. I would recommend getting a rolling pin made for fondant. It's pretty much roll out and trim, or cut into shapes. Just don't over work the fondant. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessesGirl9
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I took the Wilton course, it was so fun & easy. If you don't wanna take the course just go to www.Wilton.com. they have a lot of resources and tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessesGirl9
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Also the store bought fondant tastes gross and is expensive, its really easy to make. Just Google rolled marshmallow fondant recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justfiveofus
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Fondant is super easy.  I will say that the first time you do it will be your most difficult and each time you make it and use it, it gets easier.  I always make my kids' birthday cakes, I'll upload a couple of pics for you.  My biggest advice to anyone who tries it is to give yourself lots of time to decorate because it can take awhile to get the colors just how you want them, which to me is the hardest part of doing the fondant.  Here's the recipe that I use as well:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

This was my first ever fondant cake:

This is one I made for my middle son's birthday last year.  You can't tell in the picture but I put edible glitter in the blue to make it sparkle some. 

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I'd like to know as well :O) I'm scared to try.lol

melaniecerise
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

i never use fondant because i dont like it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)