Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Allergies?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son just had a birthday party. Two of the guests have peanut allergies. So I made sure everything at the party was nut free. Do you do this for parties? Well if you know prior to the party about an allergy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

If anyone coming to the party had allergies, I would.

1busymomma03
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

What a great person you are for thinking of your guests like that!!!

My youngest DD has lots of food allergies. I wouldn't expect anyone to even try to make safe food for her. It's such a risk of cross contamination, not to mention how hard it is to actually feed her because of the number of allergies that she has. However, her peanut allergy is very severe. She can't even be around people that are eating peanuts or PB. We have been to many parties where they still served peanuts or products with peanut butter. We have had to stand really far away from everyone, and even leave parties early because of it. :(

Lots of people just don't think about how serious food allergies really are. I wish we knew more people like you!! =)

jen113000
by Jenna on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM
I made sure to not use peanut butter products etc the few days before the party. Especially since my cake was homemade. I checked with the Moms about what is/isn't safe. I would hate for a child to be left out or anything. If I knew about an allergy... especially a peanut one I would avoid those foods. My 4 year old nephew almost died last night. He had no known allergies. My brother took him to Sams Club last night to grocery shop. They had a sample tray of food and he ate it and immediately stopped breathing. He needed 3 epi pens to be 'ok'.... he's still in the hospital. I don't know what the allergy is yet because I don't want to bother them. The hospital said with my brothers quick action it saved his life.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

My youngest DD has lots of food allergies. I wouldn't expect anyone to even try to make safe food for her. It's such a risk of cross contamination, not to mention how hard it is to actually feed her because of the number of allergies that she has. However, her peanut allergy is very severe. She can't even be around people that are eating peanuts or PB. We have been to many parties where they still served peanuts or products with peanut butter. We have had to stand really far away from everyone, and even leave parties early because of it. :(

Lots of people just don't think about how serious food allergies really are. I wish we knew more people like you!! =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I hope your nephew is better. I think you're a very good person for considering all the childrens' health by asking if they have any allergies.

Quoting jen113000:

I made sure to not use peanut butter products etc the few days before the party. Especially since my cake was homemade. I checked with the Moms about what is/isn't safe. I would hate for a child to be left out or anything. If I knew about an allergy... especially a peanut one I would avoid those foods. My 4 year old nephew almost died last night. He had no known allergies. My brother took him to Sams Club last night to grocery shop. They had a sample tray of food and he ate it and immediately stopped breathing. He needed 3 epi pens to be 'ok'.... he's still in the hospital. I don't know what the allergy is yet because I don't want to bother them. The hospital said with my brothers quick action it saved his life.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

1busymomma03
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

How scary about your nephew!!! I hope they figure out what the allergy is, and can keep him safe from now on!

Quoting jen113000:

Quoting 1busymomma03:

MistressMinerva
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

If I know in advance I will make sure.

taniamorse85
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I certainly would, if I did parties.  I do something similar at Halloween for trick-or-treat candy.  I put together little bags of pre-wrapped candy, and I make nut-free bags along with bags with candies that have nuts.  I put a note on the door asking that any adult accompanying trick-or-treaters state whether any of the children have nut allergies, and I hand out the candy accordingly.  I started doing this a few years ago.

melaniecerise
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

if I know about an allergy then I will

fineyouguyswin
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM

If I know there is an allergy I do :O)

frndlyfn
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I would do that as well if any guests had allergies like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN