Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

cheesecake baking mommas!! i need help:(

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

What did I do wrong? lol it puffed up way past the edge of the pan while cooking and then sank right away when I took it out to cool. And also why is it so brown? It tastes great but I still can't get it perfected...:(

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a better recipe I could try?? Thanks:))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melaniecerise
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

i hope someone can help you because i only buy the jello brand. i dont make from scratch cheesecake

MixedCooke
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM

It does the whole puff thing and sink--that is normal.  You may have the temperature too high or baked it too long.  Usually it is at a high temperature for about 20 minutes and then you drop it lower for the next hour and then turn the oven off and open the door a bit to let it cool down. 

I just do the mini cheesecakes with vanilla wafer bottoms in cupcake tins and bake it 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  I get out of having to make a crust and its automatic portion control and the plus side is it doesnt take that long to bake!

shivasgirl
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM

cheesecakes are not meant to be pretty, that looks like a great cake...

4kidz916
by Melissa on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Maybe the temperature was off when you baked it?  Mine get golden brown on top but not that dark. 

MistressMinerva
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Ultimate Homemade Cheesecake

Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
2 containers (8 oz each) whipped cream cheese spread, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 eggs
2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
Sour Cream Layer
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Garnish
Sliced fresh strawberries
Strawberry sundae syrup
Whipped cream
  • 1. Heat oven to 325°F. In small bowl, mix crust ingredients; press in bottom of ungreased 10-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool 3 to 5 minutes.
  • 2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat both kinds of cream cheese, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 tablespoons lemon juice with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and well blended. On low speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until blended. Add flour; beat until smooth.
  • 3. Pour filling over crust. Bake 55 minutes. Cool on cooling rack 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix sour cream layer ingredients.
  • 4. Spoon and spread sour cream mixture evenly over top of cheesecake. Bake 10 minutes longer. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen cheesecake. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 2 hours. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
  • 5. Before serving, remove side of pan. Garnish each serving with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of strawberry sundae syrup and a dollop of whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.

Expert Tips

Wrapping foil around the bottom of the pan helps to keep anything from dripping out while baking.

It’s best to store the cheesecake in the springform pan until ready to serve. The pan will protect it from getting bumped in the refrigerator.

Slice the cheesecake using a hot, wet knife, wiping the knife blade clean in between slices.

blueeyedpixie
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quoting shivasgirl:

cheesecakes are not meant to be pretty, that looks like a great cake...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HiDi
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It looks somewhat 'over baked';but, would I 'chunk-it-out'? Heck,no your guiding light is "It tastes great...".So, proceed with 'cheesecake doctoring 101' being whip  up your tasty,favorite,fruit topping(i.e. cherry,strawberry,blueberry,etc.,), or, 'never fails good ole whip topping;either,hand whipped,or, ( heaven forbid(smile) grocery store brand.Do drizzle the 'whip cream topping' with one of your favorite 'drizzler's! Now, can ya send me 'It looks good enough to eat for me' cheesecake;and, my July Fourth holiday will certainly be a memorable 'sweet treat' !!! You 'go girl',and keep -on-keeping-on with your cooking!!!

justfiveofus
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Like the other ladies said, cheesecakes do that as far as sinking back in.  I don't know how long you baked it for but I always cook mine about an hour at about 325 then turn off the oven, open the door part way and let it sit in there for several hours.   I don't have my recipe right now because my desktop crashed, so as soon as that's fixed I can share.  I made three cheesecakes last month and all turned out wonderfully!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)