Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

So, I have decided to clean out the pantry and freezers....

Posted by   + Show Post

Good Morning, Ladies!

I have decided, in an effort to cut out waste and save a little money, I am going to only go to the Grocery Store for absolute have to haves, milk, bread, eggs, etc. I have a pantry, closet and freezer full of food. I have said it before, but have never followed through with it, but this time, Im going to make myself stick to it. I have noodles, soup, canned tuna, stuffing, cake mixes, puddings, jellos, beans, you name it. I got it! LOL

So, what idea can you give me to stick to it, and make it work? Any recipes? Anything new and exciting? Any and all recipes are appreciated.

We do have a garden, with  red and white potatos, corn on the cob, green and yellow squash, cucmbers, tomatoes, lima beans.....

I'm going to try to not add as much *meat* for a couple of weeks, to help clean out the other stuff, and to avoid a costly trip to the grocery store.... I have a Turkey, a whole chicken, a pk of legs, and a pk of thighs  and a pk of ground beef and a big pk of sirloin tips in the freezer.....

Ideas?????? Tips????

Thanks!

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-19):
LuckyShelly
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Ohhh, beef tip sand gravy...with fresh potatoes from  the garden.. Yum!

And Ive been thinking about the turkey and all the things I can make with it....

Thanks!

Quoting 4kidz916:

You could use the sirloin tips to make beef tips and gravy, grill the chicken legs and have roasted red potatoes on the side, you could cook the turkey as a meal and make sandwiches with the leftovers.  You have a great selection of items to work with.

LuckyShelly
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Headed there right now to check it out! Thanks so much!!

Quoting simple_ole_me:

Go to this website: http://myfridgefood.com/. It's amazing!

Take the time and fill out the long list of food. Put a check next to all the foods you have in your cupboards, fridge, and freezer. The list is pretty extensive (even right down the spices you have in your cupboard). After you're finished, it will give you a list of all the recipes that can be made with what you have on hand. Even more, it will list recipes by percentage of ingredients. It will let you know what ingredients you're missing to make certain ones. It's a really helpful website and it's free! That would be my first suggestion. From there, perhaps make a meal plan with those recipes so you're buying minimal stuff for a few weeks. Meal planning really helps me keep our budget in check and our waste to a minimum. It makes shopping go quicker, supper time less stressful, and our grocery bill cheaper.

LuckyShelly
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

WOW!!!!! There are a TON of recipes, using stuff I already have! Thanks!!! This is going to be easier than I thought!

Quoting simple_ole_me:

Take the time and fill out the long list of food. Put a check next to all the foods you have in your cupboards, fridge, and freezer. The list is pretty extensive (even right down the spices you have in your cupboard). After you're finished, it will give you a list of all the recipes that can be made with what you have on hand. Even more, it will list recipes by percentage of ingredients. It will let you know what ingredients you're missing to make certain ones. It's a really helpful website and it's free! That would be my first suggestion. From there, perhaps make a meal plan with those recipes so you're buying minimal stuff for a few weeks. Meal planning really helps me keep our budget in check and our waste to a minimum. It makes shopping go quicker, supper time less stressful, and our grocery bill cheaper.

simple_ole_me
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Amazing, isn't it? Have fun cooking! :)

Quoting LuckyShelly:

WOW!!!!! There are a TON of recipes, using stuff I already have! Thanks!!! This is going to be easier than I thought!

Quoting simple_ole_me:

1busymomma03
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I love the myfridgefood website!! It is great for keeping me on track and making sure that I use what I have instead of buying new things.

frndlyfn
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

A meal plan would be a good way to go .  I cant remember which food website has a recipe section where you choose what ingredients you have and then they will list a variety of recipes.  

taniamorse85
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I agree with simple_ole_me.  I use My Fridge Food at least once a week, and it has been amazing.  It's been particularly helpful during the last few days before payday when we are low on food.  I've used over a dozen recipes I've found on that site, and we've loved them all.  Since it's an aggregator website, many of the recipes are from well-known recipe sites, and it's so much easier than going to each of those sites individually.

fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I have been doing that same thing. I removed EVERYTHING from the freezer and made a list of what I had. I was amazed to have over a months worth of meat IF WE ATE IT DAILY! Really the amount I had to throw out was enough to convince me to stick with it. I have been spending $40 a WEEK now to feed my family and I am still not to the bottom.

melaniecerise
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

go meatless a couple days a week and instead substitute beans. I use beans as a filler. Rice is a good side dish because it fills you up and costs cheap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN