- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 18 miniature whole wheat buns
- Baby spinach leaves
- 3 center-cut bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1-1/2 cups pineapple (save remaining pineapple for another use). In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup reserved crushed pineapple, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties; place in two 11-in. X 7-in. Dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice. Pour half of marinade into each dish; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. From the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Grill buns, uncovered, for 1-2
minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with spinach, remaining
pineapple, bacon and jalapeno peppers if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: If miniature whole wheat buns are not available in your area, you can also use whole wheat hot dog buns cut into thirds.