cupcake conesIt's one of those cute little dessert tricks I forget about until I see them -- cupcakes baked in ice cream cones. They're so much more fun that way, and they taste great, so I'm always happy to see a new twist on them that reminds me of how great they are for so many occasions. Like these banana split cupcake cones from Sweet Tooth for example. I'm smitten.

They are beyond adorable and perfect for any summer birthday party or gathering of any kind. The cones are filled with both strawberry and banana cake, then you top them just like you would a sundae -- with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and whatever you like. Just don't forget the cherry on top!

Note: She uses delicious homemade cake batter that is incredible, but in a pinch you could substitute some boxed cake mixes instead.

Banana Split Cupcake Cones

For the Banana Cupcake Batter:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar + 2 tbsp
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe, mashed bananas
3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Cream together butter and 1/4 cup sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Add egg, vanilla extract, and bananas and mix until well combined.

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet, mixing gently until incorporated.

For the Strawberry Cupcake Batter:

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
2 tbsp whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp strawberry puree (just puree fresh or thawed frozen strawberries in a blender)

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium sized bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree.

Cream the butter in an electric mixer and add the sugar, mixing until light and fluffy.

Add the egg to the mixer and mix on low until combined.

Add half of the dry mixture and mix until incorporated.

Add the strawberry puree mixture, followed by the remaining flour mixture.

Mix on low until well combined.

For the Banana Split Cupcake Cones:

12 flat bottomed ice cream cones
Strawberry and banana cupcake batters

Whipped cream
Chocolate sauce
Sprinkles
Maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place ice cream cones in a regular sized muffin tin.

Using a small ice cream scoop, add 1 scoop of strawberry and 1 scoop of banana batter -- being careful not to fill the entire cone.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.

Allow cupcakes to cool, and then decorate with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and cherries (ice cream too if you wish!).