Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Ideas to keep kids happy and occupied indoors during bad weather

Posted by   + Show Post
Its almost that time :-( Weather not so ideal for playing outside. So what do you do to keep your kids from going stir crazy and driving you nuts with out destroying the house?

Please list ages for the activity also.

Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Replies (11-15):
1busymomma03
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

These are all excellent ideas!! I can't wait to play "sardines" hide and seek with my kids!! =)

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

Weather here keeps us in about 8 months out of the year, it's either too rainy *usually* or too cold.  Mostly just too wet.  My kids are 8ds, 6ds, 4dd, and 2ds.  Here are a few things we like to do:

Hide and seek (regular and variations like 'sardines' where there's one hider and everyone else seeks and when they find the hider they hide with them and the last person to find them is the hider for the next game or hide the thimble).  

Board games like chess, checkers, hungry hippos, candyland, trouble, etc...also play regular and kinect games on the xbox.  

Put together puzzles and geotrax.  Depending on the age appropriateness of the puzzle this is good for all of them.

I make the older ones (8 & 6) read to the younger ones (4 & 2).  They like to read, so we go to the library once a week, there are usually lots of programs at the library for the little ones, like story time or sing a longs. 

Computer games from 'coolmath.com' or 'lego.com' are both fun sites for my older 2, the little ones like 'pbskidsgo.com'.

Make cookies and muffins and pies and cakes, because they're fun to make and because they can all help in their own ways.  Playdoh or flubber are fun and you can make your own, there's a recipe at   http://www.omsi.edu/for-kids

Try out exercise videos from the library or thrift store...we like the ones with bellydancers and jazzercise. 

Music is awesome for any occasion, we have made a rhythm band (good if you don't have a headache), attempted to learn various instruments, listen and sing along to various kids' music cds, crafted our own musical instruments from various household items, etc.

Dollar store is always good incentive to clean their mess up (if you have time to take them and a couple dollars each).  I call it incentive...it's really bribes.  However it works and I like having a clean house. 

Pillow forts and storytime with popcorn and cocoa for snack.  When it gets really cold we like to take a blanket over to the heat vent and all sit with our feet under it while we read or watch cartoons.

If you must get out of the house or go crazy a lot of times there are mommy matinees, where you can go watch a movie for a couple bucks and take the kids with you.  Or open playtime at the community center, also a couple of bucks per child.  More expensive is the children's museum (although you can check out the pass from the library).  Or if it's not pouring down rain you can go to the zoo, often if it's overcast people won't go, because they don't want to take the chance it might rain.

SallyB_LMT
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

A couple more variations for hide and seek are: hot and cold (have one person hide an object and then the others try to find it, as you move closer to the item the hider says 'warmer, warmer' and when they are right by it 'hot' as they move away from it they say, 'colder, colder'), Marco Polo (the seeker is blindfolded, the rest of them hide in the room with the seeker, after the seeker counts to 10 they say 'Marco' and the hiders have to answer 'Polo' until all the hiders are found, the last person found is the seeker). 

We also like to play 'I spy' with letters or colors.  Letters for the older kids and colors for the little ones.  I spy with my little eye...something orange, something beginning with the letter M, etc...

othermom
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Board games, coloring, playing with legos, puzzles, play doh, crafts, painting, helping bake, watching a movie, playing outside even if the weather is cold, ect. I do al these with my three ages 3,7 and 9

DanielleK21
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Keep em coming

melaniecerise
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

leaf piles

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN