Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

I know this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question...

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

A few years ago for Thanksgiving I made my very first homemade pie. I made a pecan pie on Wednesday night and then went to my in laws Wednesday night and put it in the fridge when I got there. The next day the pie was hard as a rock! It didn't taste bad, it was just too hard to cut or eat lol. We are going to my husband's Aunt's house this year and I want to attempt to make another homemade pecan pie. How do I make it where it isn't hard as a rock? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I put it in the fridge?

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nebcutie
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM
No idea bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimber2465
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

not sure- i have always put mine in the fridge. never had one be rock hard

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm I just wouldnt put it in the fridge.  Once pies are baked, they are usually shelf stable and dont need refridgeration unless it is a custard pie.

taniamorse85
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Maybe their fridge was set for too cold a temperature.  That could have hardened it.  Like Heather said, the pie shouldn't need to be refrigerated after baking.  If you really want to refrigerate it, though, perhaps taking it out about an hour before serving could help.  That way, it has a chance to come to room temperature and soften a bit.

umsarah
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I usually put tarts which have whipped cream in the fridge. I guess it is the same shell as any pie. However, I put in a sealed plastic container, like the ones you pay store-bought cakes in. Putting it uncovered is what probably make it hard.

beckolette
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Double check your sugar, syrup to be sure you didn't add too much. Make sure you disolve all sugar.

Tho any pie should be refridgerated after 24hrs. your pecan should be room temp to serve. Pecan pie does have a crust of hardened sugar on top. Not hard enough to need a hammer or axe to slice but it is crystalized. Even a refriderated pecan pie will be cuttable. If your filling was not soft like a cream pie then your recipe was bad or you goofed something. 

If you still have some around, is the middle soft when at room temp? Don't give up. Get everything ready but seperate, and place in fridge to bake next morning. That way you are taking a fresh pie that doesn't need the fridge 

You can warm any pie in a low oven (250 for 15 min) or by setting out an hour before serving. Cream pies vary in taste by warm, cold. My preference is a room temp cream. Some like cold. Tho custards are to be cool to cold when served. I again like mine warm. 

the fact that you made a pie is a delight to all. Not everyone is brave enough nor talented enough. In my eyes a pie is a breeze. IT's the CRUST that gets the best of me. LOL

littlecolton07
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

thanks everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN