Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Victory!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 3 Replies

My extended family is a group of extremely finicky eaters.  If they've never heard of something, chances are they won't try it.  In spite of this, I always bring something homemade to our family gatherings.  If I'm the only one who eats it, so be it.  Admittedly, though, it does get to me that they won't try something before deciding they dislike it.

Anyway, I decided to bring some pumpkin snickerdoodles to our Thanksgiving dinner today (some family members have to work on T-day).  I decided to bake a full batch, knowing that we'd eat them at home if my family wouldn't eat them.  In total, I made 4 1/2 dozen snickerdoodles.  We ate a total of 6 last night, leaving 48 cookies for the party.  When we arrived this morning, I told my aunt (who was hosting) what they were, and she got so excited to try them.  She decided to wait till dessert, though.  Throughout dinner, I was talking up the cookies, and multiple other family members seemed interested in them.  It was so strange to hear this, but I was certainly pleased!  Anyway, we finally got around to dessert.  We had apple, banana cream, pumpkin, and mixed berry pies, several kinds of cookies, and some mini cupcakes (yeah, our family gatherings could feed a small country, lol!).  By the time I got to the dessert table, about 1/4 of the snickerdoodles were gone.  Even that was enough to surprise me.  The big surprise came as I was about to leave, though.  I went into the kitchen to gather some leftovers to take home, and I glanced over at the dessert table.  All of my cookies were gone!  Everyone, from my 1 y.o. cousin to my 91 y.o. grandpa had tried and loved my cookies.  The last few that were left were snatched up by my aunt, who wanted to take them to her mom next month when they visit her for Christmas.

I'm honestly still in shock that I actually made something my family was willing to try, let alone fall in love with.  I hope this opens the door for more opportunities to share my favorite recipes with them.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MistressMinerva
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Glad that they liked it.

1Redapple
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

YAY for you. I feel ya!  One time I made fresh cranberry and orange sauce.  No one touched it.

Every year all my DH puts on his dinner plate is turkey white meat only and potatos with gravy.

g0dd3ss2012
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I know what you mean.I am obsessed with this site called pinterest.com and it has soo many recipes.I love trying new things but my dh not so much.Happy for you that they liked them so much!

http://pinterest.com/g0dd3ss08/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)