Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Orange Biscotti

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

I make these every year for Christmas. They are a hit in my family. This recipie make about 3 dozen cookies.

You will need:

-3/4 cup whole, unblanched almonds (any kind of nuts will do. I usually use walnuts as it is hard to find almonds that don't have salt on them in my area)

-1/4 lb unsalted butter

-1/4 cup sugar

-2 eggs

-zest from 1 orange grated or minced

-2 Tbsps orange flavored liquor (if you don't have or can't find orange liquor, orange extract works perfectly)

1 1/2 tsps cinnamon

2 1/4 cups flour

1 1/2 tsps baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

Directions.

Preheat oven to 350.  Toast the almonds until they are light golden brown. Let cool, and then chop into 1/4 inch chunks.

Reduce oven temp to 325. Cream the butter until light, and add the sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Beat in orange zest, orange liquor, and cinnamon. Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until just mixed.  Add the almonds.

On a lightly floured board, divide the dough in half, and form each half into a long roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and approx 10 inches long.  Place rolls on a baking sheet approx 2 inches apart.  Bake in top 3rd of the oven for 25 mins or until the rolls are lightly browned on top. Remove rolls from oven and let cool for 5 mins.  Slice each roll diagonally approx 1/2 inch thick. Lay each slice flat on baking sheet, and  place back in the oven for another 10 mins to dry them. Turn slices over and continue baking for an additional 10mins.  If you want a slightly harder cookie, turn of oven and leave baking sheet in the oven for an additional 20mins.  A harder cookie works best for dunking in coffee, tea, or hot cocoa.  Remove from oven and cool on rack.  If you like, sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar or dip in melted chocolate (both are delish). Enjoy.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
HiDi
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Thank you for sharing a certainly appropriate,holiday 'dessert snack'! I truly enjoy Biscotti especially when you want something 'light on the tummy!
WesternNYmom
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Your welcome. I love these cookies.  I am not really fond of super sweet desserts, and these have just the right amount of sweetness.  They are great with coffee, tea or hot cocoa after that big Christmas dinner. If you store them in a tightly sealed tin, they stay fresh for up to a month. You can also store them in the freezer.  I also like this recipe, because it is easy to follow, and the cookies come out perfectly everytime.  Enjoy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN