Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Adding Alcohol in Cookies

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello fellow bakers! I found an amazing sugar cookie recipe which is such a great base for making tons of different flavors. I was thinking about trying to add liquor to the recipe. Is there a rule of thumb to do this? Like, replacing vanilla extract with rum as oppose to rum extract. I hae tried to do some research and Im not really finding a whole lot. The recipe I have in mind is rootbeer schnapps sugar cookies. Your help is very appreciated:D

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hopealways4019
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Don't feed those cookies too kids!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I've only ever made cakes with alcohol.  If you try it let I want to know how it goes so we can try it.  We usually bring an alcohol filled cake to the fire hall christmas party and one year one of the guys fed it to his kids.  They were fine.  

celina0057
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

When you bake with alcohol all the alcohol burns off since it burns at a much lower temperature and all you get left with is the taste. So, it is perfectly safe for kids to eat. Im going to be trying my recipe today so I will let you know how it turns out:D

WesternNYmom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I have a biscotti recipie that uses 2T of orange liquor.  The alcohol burn off while baking and the cookie has a delicious citrucy flavor.  Good luck, and let us know how the cookies turn out.

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Hmm No idea how  much to use but i am presuming you just replace the vanilla with the liquor, perhaps less.

celina0057
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM

So, I gave it a try and I added 3 tablespoons of liquor and it did nothing to the taste. Im thinking since the alcohol burns off the flavor lessons quite a bit. Im going to try again by using more and a different type. I will keep posting:D

Flaca43
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Quoting celina0057:

So, I gave it a try and I added 3 tablespoons of liquor and it did nothing to the taste. Im thinking since the alcohol burns off the flavor lessons quite a bit. Im going to try again by using more and a different type. I will keep posting:D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM
The alcohol doesn't burn off completely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN