Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

2 things I am in desperate need of...

Posted by   + Show Post
A good baking book with some basic from scratch recipes, and a stand mixer.

Those two items will make my life complete! I would love to hear suggestions from you ladies about both. What do you recommend? Which brand/model has worked best for you? Have you found a book that you think is absolutely amazing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
chrissydan
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I love love love my kitchen aid mixer will never go back! as for books hmm i have no thoughts right now i have way to many cook books and need to dwindle mine down as i normally use web sites.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't use cookbooks often (I get most of my recipes online), but I do have the Redbook Cookbook.  My copy is a 1971 edition, and I'm not even sure if they publish the RC anymore.  But, I love it.  It not only has recipes, but also has cooking tips and techniques.  Those are particularly nice if you're trying new ingredients.  Plus, the recipes are awesome.  I've probably made all the cookies in it multiple times, along with many dinners, side dishes, and more.  You could probably find a copy on Amazon for a good price.

As for the stand mixer, that's on my wish list.  If I had the money, I'd rush out and get one right now.  I'd probably get a Kitchen Aid, but that's mostly because that's the one I'm the most familiar with.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I have this cookbook.  I had the paperback version for years and just got the hardbound ring binder version a few years ago.  

weirdkids
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

my mom has the kitchenaid stand mixer.... that thing is awesome. totally durable, works great. only thing you have to watch out for is when making anything with any tpe of coloring. just when you think you got the thing clean you end up with blue mashed potatoes courtesy of the frosting you made the day before (example from experience lol) 

Rebecca7708
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Haha! That's pretty funny! I have a house full of boys so, blue potatos probably wouldn't be too bad.

Quoting weirdkids:

my mom has the kitchenaid stand mixer.... that thing is awesome. totally durable, works great. only thing you have to watch out for is when making anything with any tpe of coloring. just when you think you got the thing clean you end up with blue mashed potatoes courtesy of the frosting you made the day before (example from experience lol) 

Lorena
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I know how you feel. I don't use cookbooks but I had a bunch a baking to do and my mixer fried out. Looking at a kichen aid!
weirdkids
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

my mom is a perfectionist when it comes to her potatoes lol the kids thought it was awesome. mom was pissed lol "grandma makes the best ble potatoes" was the easter chant lol my mom was horrified lol some of the icing dye had gotten stuck up in the coupling for the attachement so we didnt see it lol so whn my mom made her super batch of potatoes it somehow got into it and there were blue streaks through it lol

Quoting Rebecca7708:

Haha! That's pretty funny! I have a house full of boys so, blue potatos probably wouldn't be too bad.

Quoting weirdkids:

babynurse244
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Kitchen Aid mixer. Gooseberry Patch has wonderful books, but I tend to lean towards the internet as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irishmommy81
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I honestly check out books from my library and try the recipes and if I like one I write it down.

AlyssaN
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I bought my Kitchenaid stand mixer almost 12 years ago and it still looks almost brand new. And it's been used A LOT lol. It makes so many things so much easier.
As for baking, not sure. I started baking on my own 17 years ago and a from scratch apple pie was my first on my own attempt. The library would be a good place to start for baking basics books. Like someone mentioned, the joy of cooking is great since it gives you step by step instructions.
Feel free to pm me with any questions. I've learned lots over the years with trial and error.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)