Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Baking my first 3 tier wedding cake. Need Advice

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
  • 3 Replies

Friend of mine wants a 3 tier football theme wedding cake. I know I can do it but not so sure about a few things.

Cake Dowels and card board rounds. Should I do wooden dowels? Like 4 in the bottom and 4 middle tiers? Maybe hammer a big one threw the whole thing to keep it sturdy?

Also should I buy some table decor too? Like some glitter or fancy stones around the cake to make the table look nice? Maybe little footballs and helmets.

Any tips for how to travel with a big cake would be helpful!!

I have a 2 hour drive to the reception site in July!

Thanks!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
frndlyfn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Shoot .  I really have no idea.   If you do big ones you need at least 3 dowels to keep it steady not just one.  If they want a football theme cake just stick to the cake decorations and not worry about table decorations.

taniamorse85
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a nice step-by-step guide (including photos) for assembling a wedding cake.  Instead of dowels, she used large plastic drinking straws, which would probably be cheaper, but would still keep the cake stable.  As for table decorations, you should ask your friend and her DF what they want.  Football-themed decorations would definitely go with the cake, though.

mommashiv2012
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I know your concern, I have to do a 2 tier cake for my daughters 1st birthday along with 2 dz cupcakes....the cake is my worry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN