Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Meringue missteps . And french macaroons too.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM
  • 3 Replies

I am obsessed with meringues. I buy them wherever i can find them since they are not usually in stores around where I live just bakeries,rarely. Well I ahve made them a few times and I don;t know if I am doing something wrong or not but, I make vanilla, chocolate and raspberry. The raspberry is use preserves and the chocolate with cocoa powder and these come out great with the perfect consistency but the vanilla are like biting into air. No umph to tehm they literally crumble into ashlike concitency almost. I want to know if this is normal for vanilla becasue I don't think it is. Like I said the otehr types come out great. Is it becasue I need a "backup"stabilizer or something like it like with the others I had cocoa and preserves as the backup. Please someone let me know. Also I wanted to try a Pavlova but if this happens it will be ruined. HELP,PLEASE!!!!

French macaroons are beautiful little bites and I want to know can you use almond flour instead of ground almonds/. It is the same thing except I think its just ground finer. Also does anyone have a great filling recipe for them? And any hints.  Thank you all.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tillymommie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I am not sure how you make your meringues. I use a cold bowl, beat my egg whites with cream of tartar till they are semi stiff. Then I mix the vanilla sugar together and slowly add the mixture into the egg white and beat till its completely stiff and form high peak. Then drop on to pan and bake.

amberp1
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Thank you for responding,.I do mine almost exactly but I treid again the other day one chocolate one vanilla and the chocolate came out perfect the vanilla like air once again and this time I even added corn starch to "thicken them up". Once again when you bite intot hem its like the consistecy of ashes.

psych_mom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I would Google macaroons. I want to say I've seen recipes using almond flour but not 100% sure. Also this would help you find fillings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN