Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this a fair amount for cookies and fudge?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

My neighbor wants peanut butter fudge and cookies. I added up the cost of the materials and it comes out to a little over 15 dollars. Do you think 20 dollars is a fair amount for 1 1/2 lb of fudge and 2 dozen cookies?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyB_LMT
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's more than fair.  If this is a business you should charge what your time is worth.  If she was making it herself she'd have to pay for all the materials and spend the time to do it.  How long is it going to take you to make it, I would probably ask at least $25.

momavanessa
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Thanks.

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

I think it's more than fair.  If this is a business you should charge what your time is worth.  If she was making it herself she'd have to pay for all the materials and spend the time to do it.  How long is it going to take you to make it, I would probably ask at least $25.

amberp1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Iwould charge 5 dollare per item. Add in the time of preparing and baking too. Just don't tell how much the materials are. You would be shortchanging yourself.

chefmartha
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds fair.

rmp
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a new Fancy Truck Stop in my town and I stop by there once a month and treat myself to a square--(-the size of a brownie square) --of fudge freshly made daily --- and it costs $3.50 for peanut butter fudge. I love to bake and thought of making it myself and I will tell you the ingredients are expensive --NOW I know why fudge is so expensive!!! LOL

rmp
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Costco sells this fudge  it costs $15.99 a pound :

Fudgie Wudgie Belgian Chocolate FudgeFudgie Wudgie Belgian Chocolate Fudge – Of course to follow up my blurb about important dental health I will now talk about fudge. This is a bit of a cheat because I actually got this last week but had too much great stuff to write about so I’m sticking it in here. This was a special demo and sale that they were having at Costco from the Fudgie Wudgie Fudge and Chocolate Factory. Of course, we had to try the fudge that wouldn’t be there forever. It was good, no that should be better than good. It was like you always want fudge to be but it never really is – soft, creamy, chocolatey perfection. There was none of that grainy feeling in your mouth that you sometimes get with fudge when the sugar crystallizes on the side of the pan and it is stirred back into the fudge. They had 4 or 5 different flavors to try but I fell in love with the Belgian Chocolate variety. It’s my dream fudge. 1 pound for $15.99

beckolette
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM

If you are going to charge for the materials then make sure you give the neighbor all the left overs too. Other wise just charge for the fudge and cookies at a flat rate. 

An example would be you figure up exactly what the ingredients cost. a 1/4 tsp salt is worth a micro cent. so you are not going to charge 87 cents for the box of salt. 2 cups of flour cost 30 cents, etc. Lets say you spent 4.00 making the cookies. Crafters normally charge 3 times the material. You would charge $12.00 for the cookies. 

Next time the neighbor wants treats, Tell them you will bake it for them just bring you the ingredients. This leaves the big expense in their pocket and stops the problem of the neighbor pestering you to do the hard work. 

beckolette
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

RMP and anyone else making fudge, brittle, syrups. To stop the grainy sugar in candy you use a spray bottle of water to stir it back in. Have the water handy when you start and before you scrape the sides in you lightly spritz the sides with water and then stir it in. The sugar has lost moisture on the side and that is why it is grainy.  The water rehydrates and puts it back into syrup condition.   

psych_mom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I would charge a little more. You are putting time and energy into making this. Don't feel that you are over charging. I have paid $8-$10 for a pound of fudge before and depending on the cookies it can cost a lot to get bakery cookies (not from the grocery store bakery).

rmp
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Thanks Beckolette for the wonderful tip!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)