Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blueberry Almond Breakfast Cake

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was feeling a bit overworked and under rewarded this week and wanted to pat myself on the back.  What better way to do that than with a delicious home made cake?  I wanted dense and moist cake which left me with a few options:  White Chocolate Banana Bread, zucchini bread, or coffee cake.  I ended up being inspired by a few coffee cakes on Pinterest, but I wasn't craving that specific flavor.  What I decided to do was take the basics from a coffee cake recipe and then make it my own from there.  I ended up with a Blueberry Almond Breakfast cake!  It is so much better than any coffee cake I've ever had! 

This Blueberry Almond Breakfast Cake is very moist and dense so it would go best with a cup of hot coffee in the AM or a nice tall glass of milk in the PM.  I also think that it would be a huge hit at any luncheon, breakfast meeting, or potluck.  This cake would also freeze very well so you could make it ahead and defrost it when you are ready to eat it.

What you'll need:

• 1/2 a cup of softened butter

• 1 1/2 cups of white sugar

• 1/4 cup of canola oil

• 2 eggs

• 2 cups of sour cream

• 1 teaspoon of almond extract

• 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon of baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon of salt

• 1 cup of frozen or fresh blueberries

• dash of flour

• 1/2 a cup of brown sugar

• 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

• 1/2 cup of chopped almonds

Here's how to make it:

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Then cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the sour cream and almond extract.   When that is mixed well start adding in the flour, baking powder, and salt one at a time.  The batter should be quite fluffy and slightly stiff.

Next lightly coat your blueberries in a dash of flour.  They should look like very very dusty blueberries.  Gently fold them into the batter. 

Grease a 8x8 or 9x9'' square baking dish and spoon half of the batter into it.  Then mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped almonds.  Sprinkle this evenly onto the layer of batter.  Spoon the rest of the batter on top. 

Bake the cake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 

**It will take a bit longer if you used frozen blueberries.  I prefer using frozen ones anyway because I feel like they retain their texture, shape, and taste better during the baking process that way. 

****This is going up on my blog in about 10 days, but I wanted to share it with you awesome ladies first.  I've left the link to my blog out, but if you want the link let me know. 

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-2):
    manicMOM_DLC
    by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM

BUMP!

manicMOM_DLC
    by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)