Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

what can I do to make my cookies soft

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
Every time I make sugar cookies or peanut butter cookies they get hard so fast. Once they cool down they are so hard. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for reading
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PurpleCupcake
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Do you keep you dough very cold? Try making the dough, then put in the fridge, let it get cold. Everytime you get dough out of it, immediately put the dough back in the fridge while the cookies bake.

Next, always allow cookies to cool completely on wire racks.

And you are probably measuring the flour wrong. Do you spoon the flour into the measuring cup? If you just stick the measuring cup into the flour and scoop it out you are condensing the flour and putting too much flour into the cookies. Which makes baked goods dry and dense.

SSweetcupcake
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Sone times I let them cool down on the cookie sheet while it's hot, some times I move to a rack.

When I measure flour I stick the measuring cup and it and then wipe off the extra with a knife of spoon.

And I normally leave the dough out.

Thanks for the tips

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Do you keep you dough very cold? Try making the dough, then put in the fridge, let it get cold. Everytime you get dough out of it, immediately put the dough back in the fridge while the cookies bake.

Next, always allow cookies to cool completely on wire racks.

And you are probably measuring the flour wrong. Do you spoon the flour into the measuring cup? If you just stick the measuring cup into the flour and scoop it out you are condensing the flour and putting too much flour into the cookies. Which makes baked goods dry and dense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmp
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I always get them out of the oven 2 or 3 minutes before the recipe time. My friend gave me that tip years ago. When air hits them they finish baking. I know it sounds weird . It definitely works. My cookies are never hard. 

Diane1223
by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I would just cook them less, they should stay soft for a little while
jlm425
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

One thing that works to keep cookies soft for days is to store them with a piece of bread. :) it works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)