Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

What the heck is monkey bread??

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I keep seeing various recipes for it from PIllsbury but what is it supposed to be??

by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Heather on May. 31, 2013 at 2:31 AM

It is a sweet pull a part bread .

Monkey bread, also called monkey puzzle breadsticky breadAfrican coffee cakegolden crownpinch-me cakepluck-it cake,bubbleloaf and monkey brains is a sweet, sticky, gooey pastry served in the United States for breakfast. It consists of pieces of soft bread with cinnamon sprinkled on it. It is served at fairs and other parks as a treat.[1]

Name [edit]

The origin of the term "monkey bread" is uncertain. Possible etymologies include that the bread resembles the monkey puzzle tree.[2]

Origins [edit]

Recipes for the bread first appeared in American women's magazines and community cookbooks in the 1950s, and the dish is still virtually unknown outside the United States. The bread is made with pieces of sweet yeast dough (often frozen) which are baked in a cake pan at high heat after first being individually covered in melted butter, cinnamon, sugar and chopped pecans.[3] It is traditionally served hot so that the baked segments can be easily torn away with the fingers and eaten by hand.

taniamorse85
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 2:41 AM
In addition to sweet versions, there are also savory versions. I've been planning to do a garlic herb butter monkey bread recipe from a magazine I reread recently. I've also seen a cheesy monkey bread. Basically, you can top the dough in pretty much any way you want.
nikki666444
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

It's sooooo good!

sweetheart4171
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

it is good!!

Diane1223
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM
It is cinnamon bread that you pull apart! It is so yum!
Tallmomma
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
It's the best - you will fall in love once you have it for the first time :)
george8256
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM

its like a cinnamon roll

bizkit_fanky
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

The best bread ever

bizkit_fanky
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Really easy to make too...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)