Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Making bread

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 3 Replies

I have been trying to make a loaf of white bread, and every one I make just fails so badly. 

I use my bread maker to do the mixing/rising/kneding. then I bake it in the oven. 

I make awesome rolls, hamburger bun, and other types of bread, but white has never turned out for me. I have tried tons of different recipes but all turn out the same.

It rises fine (i guess) but once I slice into it it is so dense and super crumbly. It smells good and tastes just fine. I have to get this figured out lol because it is going to drive me crazy if I don't.

The only thing I can think of is that I live in Hawaii and It rains here a lot, But I don't know if that even has anything to do with it. 

I follow the recipe then once it is finished I remove the dough and shape it and place it in my bread pan, while my oven is preheating I place the loaf pan on the back of the stove to rise, I cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise to about double its size. Then I bake it in the oven at 350 for about 20-30 min.

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
frndlyfn
by Heather on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Hmmm do you knead it after it has risen again to make sure excess air bubbles are out?  I wonder if that could make it dry and crumbly.

Nyx112
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, Yes I kneed it before I place it into my bread pan.

nanabaker
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hi.....here's a couple of thoughts......the humidity might very well be affecting the bread.  You proof the yeast before adding to the flour, right?  And, when proofing the yeast, add a little of the sugar from the recipe to "feed" the yeast.  Once you determine if the yeast is good, then you can proceed.....Have you tried making the bread entirely in the bread machine to see if it will turn out for you that way?  Also, before turning the oven on,maybe try doing the second rising inside the oven over a bowl of very hot water, covered with greased wax paper. I find I have the best results with risings when I have the dough in an enclosed area (like the oven) as opposed to on the counter or stove.  

I know you said you've tried many recipes already, so I won't give you yet another one, but try making it in the machine, just to see.....and definitely make sure your yeast is still viable.  Another thought about the yeast.....are you using a candy thermometer?  That's the best way to make sure the water is the right temp before adding the yeast...too hot, and it kills the yeast...too cool, and the yeast won't react.  I try to aim for between 105 and 115 degress, usually closer to the 115.  

Hope this helps....

nanabaker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)